Kidnapped child found on campus

Ian Daniel Kingsley, 6, was found unharmed Tuesday morning by a UA Parking and Transportation Services employee near this spot at East Second Street and North Campbell Avenue, near the University of Arizona Police Department. Police believe the child was kidnapped by his babysitter the night before.

A 6-year-old boy who police believe was kidnapped by his babysitter was found on campus Tuesday after a UA Parking and Transportation employee spotted the child and flagged down a University of Arizona Police Department officer.

Ian Daniel Kingsley was found alone in a Kia Sophia near East Second Street and North Campbell Avenue around 8:45 a.m., according to a police report.

The child was not injured when police arrived at the scene, said Sgt. Decio Hopffer, a public information officer with the Tucson Police Department.

“”He is safe and in good spirits,”” Hopffer said. “”He was abducted the night before by someone who the family knew and was abandoned in a car near the UAPD station.””

Hopffer said police are still searching for Thomas H. Ramsey, 26, whom they believe abducted Kingsley.

Sgt. Eugene Mejia said that because the suspect did not turn himself in to authorities and has not yet been apprehended, there is no clear reason why he would abandon the boy near the police station.

“”All we can do at this point is speculate,”” Mejia said. “”We always encourage reporting on campus by staff and students. If a person sees anything or anyone that seems suspicious, they are encouraged to please give us a call so that we can investigate.””

This is the first situation of its kind to occur on campus, Mejia said.

Ramsey is described in police reports as 5-foot-9, weighing about 160 pounds with brown hair, hazel eyes and a slight goatee.

Anyone with information about Ramsey is encouraged to call UAPD, 911 or 88-CRIME.

Child’s body found in nearby storage unit

Police discovered the remains of a 2-year-old child in a storage locker three miles north of campus earlier this week after the manager of U-Store-It, 519 E. Prince Road, smelled an odor and alerted the authorities.

Police arrived at the scene Monday at about 1:34 p.m., according to Tucson Police Department records. Inside of storage locker C-19, they discovered human remains that were placed inside of a plastic container.

Hopffer said authorities do not yet have any suspects but are talking to those who last rented the storage unit.

The storage facility is located in an area close to campus. Some students said they have used it during the summers while on vacation from Tucson.

Mary Mamey, a family studies and human development junior, said she used the facility during the summer of her freshman year, when she moved out of her residence hall on campus.

“”It’s crazy to think that things like this happen in Tucson,”” Mamey said.

Mamey said she does not think she will be renting the storage unit again because some of her roommates are staying in Tucson this summer.

Keana Alam, a journalism junior, said she rents a storage unit from National Self Storage, 4101 E. Fort Lowell Road, during the summer months.

“”I sometimes wonder what sorts of things other people keep in their storage units,”” Alam said. “”But I would never have imagined something like this.””

The child found in the container is described as 3 feet tall, with light brown hair that has a reddish tint, according to The Associated Press. She may also be Caucasian.

A tip line has been set up to help identify the child. Anyone with information is encouraged to call 520-791-4499, extension 1238, or 88-CRIME.