Column: Free online dating sites are a hoax

“It’s a jungle out there.” These words have been uttered for many a reason, but in the world of dating, it is indeed a jungle out there.

One of the reasons dating becomes increasingly difficult as we get older is that social gatherings become more and more scarce as our lives become filled with responsibility.

This is what makes online dating so great: it provides easier access to several candidates that are looking for the same things you are: love and sex.

However, free online dating sites are a complete mess and should not be free for both men and women. It’s chaos on both sides. Women have delusional, high standards for men that can never be met, and men become animals that send numerous disgusting sexual messages and treat women like objects rather than people. And we can’t forget the fact that these sites are riddled with fake accounts.

Interactions on these sites are like two actors reading different scripts for the same scene. Nobody is listening to one another, both have different expectations and the scene falls apart.

The only legitimate dating sites are paid ones, but they can be expensive. The most notable site is eHarmony. Its prices range from $9.95 a month if you sign up for 24 months to $59.95 for a single month subscription. When that amount of money is involved, you’re going to get users who are much more serious about dating.

It’s less of a jungle on paid dating sites. They’re really the only ones that should exist. Anytime you throw the word “free” into anything, people come out of the woodwork, because it’s free.

I’ll admit that I’ve been cheap by holding off on joining a paid dating site, but after so long, I’ve finally realized that there’s simply no hope for me on free dating sites. I’ve spoken to some gals who admit to having their account simply because they like getting attention, with no intention of actually meeting up with the person. That’s fine considering some men become monsters on these dating sites and email vile messages that no woman should have to reply to or accept.

Dating really is a jungle, and even when things go well, it’s still difficult. If you’re hoping to find love, don’t waste your time on the free sites. Money is always replaceable, but time is not. You’ll waste so much of your time and energy on free sites hoping for something that will never be.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter.