Police Beat: Sept. 24

Friends who smoke together, get caught together

University of Arizona Police Department officers were dispatched to the Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall on Sept. 15 at 11:57 p.m. in reference to a report of the odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. Upon arrival, officers met with a resident assistant who led them to the room where the odor was detected. Officers knocked on the door and made contact with the room’s occupant. Officers observed three other men in the room and questioned them about the odor. All four men claimed to have smoked marijuana but told police they had done it outside. Officers asked the men if there was any additional marijuana in the room and the group produced a pipe and a medicine bottle containing 1.9 grams of marijuana, which they all claimed ownership of. Police confiscated the pipe and medicine bottle as evidence and referred the incident to the Dean of Students.

Police disapprove of marijuana, littering

UAPD officers responded to the Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall on Sept. 15 at 12:17 a.m. in reference to a report of a man smoking marijuana on the premises. A witness reported seeing the man smoking from a glass pipe while using his laptop. Upon arrival, officers made contact with a man matching the witness’ description. The subject identified himself with an Arizona driver’s license and a CatCard and officers told him why they were questioning him. The subject then admitted to smoking marijuana and handed officers a glass pipe. The man then told police he had smoked all of his marijuana and he threw the bag on the ground. Officers told the man they did not approve of littering and then the man admitted that he did not throw the bag on the ground and instead told police the bag, with his marijuana in it, was in his room. The man led officers to his room and consented to a search. Officers found an orange medicine bottle containing 1.1 grams of marijuana. The man was cited on charges of illegal use or possession of marijuana and illegal use or possession of narcotic paraphernalia. The marijuana and pipe were taken into evidence and the man was released on the scene. The incident has been referred to the Dean of Students.

Vehicle damaged in parking garage

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Park Avenue Parking Garage on Sept. 16 at 10:53 a.m. in reference to a hit and run. Upon arrival, officers met with the man who reported the incident. He told police that he had parked his vehicle at 7:45 a.m. and he returned at 10:53 a.m. to find that his vehicle had been struck. He led police to his car and showed them the damage, which included large scratches on the rear bumper, a large dent in the wheel well, and a broken taillight. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Purchasing card cancelled after fraud detected

UAPD officers were contacted by telephone on Sept. 16 at 11:40 a.m. by a university employee who wished to report credit card fraud. According to the caller, an unauthorized charge of $102.27 had been made to her UA purchasing card to online retailer Newegg.com on Sept. 8. She also said that the same amount was refunded back from Newegg on Sept. 9. The employee told police that the card actually belonged to the College of Education and that three other people have access to the card but all denied making any charges. She then told officers that she had unsuccessfully attempted to contact the Web site for more information and had cancelled the card as a precaution. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Gym bag reported missing from Rec Center

UAPD officers received a call on Sept. 16 at 5:30 p.m. from a man who claimed that his gym bag had been stolen. The man claimed to have placed his bag into a locker at the Student Recreation Center at 3:30 p.m. When he returned at approximately 5:30 p.m., the bag and its contents were missing. According to police, the gym bag contained a CatCard and a wristwatch, among other miscellaneous items. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.