Tennis gets Pac-10 break

After two consecutive weeks of competing against Pacific 10 Conference teams, the No. 30 Arizona women’s tennis team gets a break from conference play when the Wildcats host No. 63 Pennsylvania this afternoon at 2 at the Robson Tennis Center.

“”We have less days to recuperate and recover, but we are ready to go,”” said freshman captain Danielle Steinberg.

With a consistent schedule of playing matches on the weekends, the Wildcats (9-4, 0-4 Pac-10) get a break from that routine after losing four straight to national top-20 schools in the conference.

“”It’s a shorter week, but the preparation will be the same,”” Arizona assistant coach Brian Ramirez said. The only difference, besides having an extra practice day during a usual week, was having practice on Monday, which the team usually gets off, he said.

Even though Penn (4-3) isn’t in the Pac-10, the Wildcats aren’t going to overlook them, junior Kasia Jakowlew said. She said the team isn’t concentrating on that aspect and will be approaching it like any other match.

“”The level of play won’t be as high,”” Ramirez said. “”We won’t feel under attack all match.””

This will be the last nonconference match for the Wildcats for the remainder of the regular season.

By playing a team that isn’t as highly ranked provides the Wildcats an opportunity to add another win to their record.

“”This week we just have to give everything we got,”” Steinberg said. “”Then we get a week off during spring break after (playing at) Oregon (Friday).””

The coaches hope to see the squad take advantage of opportunities that are given to them, Ramirez said, which has been an issue for the Wildcats all season.

“”A win would help get us motivated for Oregon,”” Jakowlew said.