Season predictions: What the media and the sportsbooks are saying about Arizona football

Nathanial Stenchever

The ZonaZoo entrance at Arizona Stadium floods with fans exited to watch a friendly scrimmage on Saturday, Aug. 20.

Last season, every pre-season and media poll had the Arizona football team finishing last in the Pac-12 and that was true, but this season could be different.

The over-under for wins and losses for the Wildcats is set at 3.5 wins according to Fanduel Sportsbook. This is a big improvement already for a team that only had one victory a year ago, is starting a new Quarterback and has a ton of freshman players.

CBS Sports had seven of their media members rank each member of the Pac-12. For Arizona, there were five 11th place votes, one last place vote and one ninth place vote. Arizona also was ranked as the 91st best team on CBS Sport’s top 100 team poll.

ESPN’s Football Power Index also ranked Arizona 91st in the country while having an 8.9 percent chance to win six games. Sports Illustrated ranked the Wildcats last in the conference of champions.

The Wildcats are six-point underdogs against San Diego State University in their first game of the 2022 season. They are also set at +50,000 odds to win the Pac-12 championship, according to Fanduel Sportsbook.

Arizona’s schedule to start the season is not the most difficult, having three games at Arizona Stadium. The two road games during that stretch are their home opener at SDSU and in Berkeley, California to face off with the University of California, Berkeley during the fourth week of college football.

Weeks six through nine will be extremely tough for the Wildcats because they play the University of Oregon, Washington State University, USC and the University of Utah before heading to the Rose Bowl to play Chip Kelly and UCLA.

Since the Wildcats only won one game last season, it will not be too difficult for them to put together a better year starting with a hopeful win against the Aztecs in just a few days.

Follow Ryan Wohl on Twitter