Arizona track and field heads to Stanford Invitational

The Arizona track and field teams will head to Palo Alto, Calif. this weekend to compete in the Stanford Invitational.

The Wildcats will take on big name schools in the Invitational, such as Oregon, who has the sixth-ranked men’s team and second-ranked women’s side, and Florida, whose men’s and women’s squads are ranked No. 3 and No. 7 respectively.

The No. 20 men’s team will begin competition with junior Sean Delfani running the 400-meter. Sophomore Kenji Bierig and freshman Jonas Legernes will compete in the 3,000-meter steeplechase.

In the 100-meter dash, senior Elliot Taylor and sophomore Thomas Moronta will compete. Senior Clifton Leake will make his outdoor season debut on the hurdles, competing in the 400-meter hurdles race, He will also compete in the 200-meter sprint on Saturday with Delfani and Moronta.

Sophomore Sam Macaluso will wrap up competition Friday in the 5,000-meter race.

In field events, senior Edgar Rivera-Morales and freshman Jonny Giess will compete in the high jump. Giess will also participate in the javelin competition while senior Tyler Johnson will compete in the hammer throw.

The relay team in the 4×100-meter will be the quartet of Delfani, Leake, Taylor and Moronta. Leake, Delfani, sophomore Lezo Urreiztieta and senior Kevin Jani will compete in the 4×400-meter relay.

For No. 3 Arizona women’s squad, juniors Germe Poston and Shapri Romero will compete in the 100-meter dash. In the 400-meter run the competition will consist of seniors Shale’ Garland, Georganne Moline and junior Tamara Pridgett. Moline, Garland, Poston and Romero will also run in the 200-meter dash.

Sophomore Nicci Corbin will run in the 1,500-meter competition. In the 3,000-meter steeplechase, sophomore Clea Formaz will compete. Senior Jen Bergman will run in the 10K.

Senior Brigetta Barrett will make her outdoor season debut and sophomore Shakayla McEaddy will also compete in the high jump.

Barrett won the silver medal in the women’s high jump at the 2012 London Olympics, clearing a personal-best 6-feet-8-inches.

The field events will continue with freshman Moriah Hayes competing in the long jump. The Wildcats will have a strong showing in the shot put competition with seniors Taylor Freeman and Alyssa Hasslen, juniors Julie Labonté and Omotayo Talabi and sophomore Baillie Gibson throwing.

Freeman and Gibson will also participate in the hammer competition and will be joined by Hasslen and Labonté in the discus.

The women’s 4×100-meter relay team will consist of freshman Traci-Lynn Hicks, Romero, Pridgett and Poston. Romero and Pridgett will be joined by Moline and Garland in the 4×400-meter relay.