LCD Soundsystem: Sound of Silver

LCD Soundsystem: Sound of Silver

LCD Soundsystem’s bag of tricks is fairly simple: infectious rhythms, agogo bells and the cynical yet playful lyrics of James Murphy.

Murphy’s LCD Soundsystem is the flagship act of his own record label, the ultra-trendy DFA Records. The band’s 2005 self-titled debut album conjured up mainstream praise in the form of two Grammy nominations. The album’s first track, “”Daft Punk is Playing at My House,”” was featured in the Fox TV show “”The O.C.,”” as well as various video games.

That much exposure is bound to generate some high expectations for a sophomore release. Sound of Silver shatters those expectations and delivers a more unique listening experience than anticipated.

The opening track, “”Get Innocuous!,”” begins with the same rhythm as a previous LCD Soundsystem single – the underground hit “”Losing My Edge.”” The song then sprawls out into an overindulgent, rhythmic orgy featuring nearly inaudible, reverb-laden vocals by Murphy.

“”North American Scum”” is the album’s first single and one of the few tracks with the possibility of drawing mainstream appeal. The entire song serves as a humorous and perhaps sarcastic jab at American culture.

While Murphy is one of the biggest figures of the New York City music scene, he calls the city “”the greatest if you get someone to pay the rent.”” Some of Murphy’s other targets include “”uptight”” kids and “”fat”” Christians. Even though the song may offend some, it’s the album’s standout track.

Of course, the record isn’t perfect. “”All My Friends”” is based upon one keyboard line that continues throughout the entire song. That’s almost eight minutes of straight repetition. While Murphy gets away with some repetition on other tracks, this one is a bit much. Expect to skip over this track on occasion, even if you’re one of LCD Soundsystem’s most loyal fans.

Perhaps the album’s biggest revelation is the use of agogo bells in “”Us v. Them.”” While Will Ferrell got everyone wanting more cowbell after his famous “”Saturday Night Live”” skit, LCD Soundsystem will create a demand for more agogos. The song features an epic agogo solo that puts Blue Ç_yster Cult to shame.

Sound of Silver is an amazing sophomore release that will likely spawn more Grammy nominations and TV appearances. Pick this album up if you need a new record to dance to in your dorm room.