Calendar

Today

UApresents Chris Gardner – The man whose book “”The Pursuit of Happyness”” was turned into the major motion picture will share how he has gone from homelessness to being a millionaire. Attend to see just how much he resembles Will Smith, who played him in the motion picture. 7:30 p.m. $10 to $26. Centennial Hall

Tomorrow

“”Tartuffe”” – The UA Opera Theater presents Kirke Mechem’s rendition of Moliere’s “”Tartuffe,”” the story of a hypocritical religious fanatic who manages to fool almost everyone around him. The UA School of Theatre Arts presented this earlier in the year, but if you’re hungry for a musical version sung in English, then sit down and listen to your heart’s content. 7 p.m. $15 general, $10 students. Stevie Eller Dance Theater

Bullet For My Valentine – This metalcore foursome, signed to Trustkill Records, has come a long way, considering they used to play covers of Metallica, Limp Bizkit and Nirvana songs. They’re filled with angst and ready to scream about it onstage with songs like “”Suffocating Under Words of Sorrow”” and “”All These Things I Hate.”” With Escape the Fate and the Confession. 7:30 p.m. $15 in advance, $17 at the door. The Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

Japanesian Barbie – Four kids on a mission to spread their blend of Japanese classical music and power pop and feed it to the masses. With a female violin player, silly lyrics and a new CD titled Poka Dotted Zebra Stripes, let that be a lesson to stay in school or you’ll misspell polka dots on your CD cover. With Kool Shades and The Manhattan Address. 9 p.m. $5. Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave.

Saturday

Gym Class Heroes – Do the Gym Class Heroes ever stop touring? It seems like they’re always coming back to Tucson; we must keep giving them a warm welcome (and lots of hot UA groupies). This time they’re bringing one of the most glorious bands to ever be signed to Drive-Thru Records: the RX Bandits. They’re famous for singing, “”Is love an infection, or a sick addiction?”” With P.O.S. and Last Act of Defiance. 7:30 p.m. $13.50 in advance, $16 at the door. The Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

“”PHONK!”” – This play presented by Scrap Arts Music features five musicians who twirl, bang, leap and play inventive instruments made out of industrial scrap. These artists really know how to recycle! 8 p.m. $12 to $16. Centennial Hall

Sunday

Brian Regan – Finally, a comedian whose work is supported by conservative religious communities! Brian Regan uses observational humor to make fun of those everyday events we can all relate to, such as shipping a package with UPS and going to the doctor. With a generally clean act, this could be fun for the whole family – but why waste a good 30 bucks on blood relatives who will nag you about the way you live your life? 7:30 p.m. $34. Tucson Music Hall, 260 S. Church Ave.

“”Chuckles for Children”” – Tucson comedian Tom Potter is a regular on the Las Vegas comedy circuit, and he’s gracing his hometown to benefit Child and Family Resources, Inc. If you haven’t already filed your taxes, add your ticket price to the equation because all but $10 of the ticket price is tax deductible. 6 p.m. $30 in advance, $40 at the door. Laffs Comedy Nightclub, 2900 E. Broadway Blvd.

Monday

“”Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World”” – Ever wonder what that entire hubbub on aspartame being bad for your health was about? This documentary focuses on aspartame toxicity, and it will seriously make you think about what you put into your body. Tucson-based director Cori Brackett will be leading a discussion after the screening. 7 p.m. Free. Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering building, Room S202

Tuesday

Static-X – Perhaps the first mainstream industrial metal band to hit the suburbs, Static-X has been making music as a unit since 1994, and its new album, Cannibal, comes out in stores today, but you may have already heard the band’s new song, “”No submission,”” in the movie “”Saw III.”” With fellow metalheads Otep, 2Cents and SiOP. 8 p.m. $24 in advance, $25 day of show. The Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St.

Wednesday

The Ataris – Named after the first video game set to ever keep kids inside on a sunny day, this group of seven punk-poppers is touring to promote its latest album, Welcome the Night, released in February. These boys are back before summer, but go see their pretty butts anyway. With Blackpool Lights and Wax on Radio. 7:30 p.m. $17.50. The Rock, 136 N. Park Ave.

– compiled by Alexandria Kassman