Arizona WBB returns home with decisive victory against UC San Diego

The Arizona women’s basketball team faced the University of California San Diego on Thursday, Dec. 7, at 6:30 p.m., in McKale Center. The Wildcats emerged victorious with a final score of 81-38. Arizona (7-2) bounced back from a recent defeat, showing the team’s determination. The convincing win makes a strong statement for the season ahead. 

First Half

The starting lineup featured Jada Williams, Helena Pueyo, Kailyn Gilbert, Esmery Martinez and Breya Cunningham. Arizona won the tip-off, but a travel violation resulted in an immediate turnover. The Wildcats overcame a slow start, marked by three turnovers, with Gilbert scoring their first point.

Arizona gradually unsettled the Tritons early on, forcing three turnovers and a steal by Williams. The Tritons responded with a 3-point shot by Denali Pinto, briefly taking a 3-2 lead. Despite consistent turnovers, the Wildcats secured a 12-7 lead in the first half.

In the second period, Arizona faced a foul and turnover, allowing the Tritons to narrow the gap to a two-point game with successful free throws, making the score 12-10. Martinez’s steal led to a jumper, followed by another Tritons turnover and additional points for the Wildcats. From that point onward, the Wildcats dominated, concluding the period with a commanding 42-17 lead.

Second Half

Although Arizona entered the halftime break with a somewhat comfortable lead, the Tritons gradually increased their intensity. Sali Kourouma capitalized on an opponent’s turnover with a fast break. Despite multiple fouls and turnovers on both sides, the Wildcats maintained control. Williams secured another steal, contributing to another Wildcats field goal.

The Wildcats retained their lead, reaching a 28-point advantage with 5:05 on the clock. The team’s exceptional defense proved instrumental in breaking down the Tritons. Arizona continued to score, ultimately securing the victory. Williams demonstrated her importance to the team with a standout performance.

Postgame and Looking Ahead

Arizona maintained a consistent lead throughout the game, showcasing a persistent offensive effort and an unrelenting defense. The team displayed pristine coordination and operated as a cohesive unit, capitalizing on opportunities and setting the pace.

Arizona’s next game will be up against the University of Texas at Austin in the McKale Center on Wednesday, Dec. 13, at 7:00 p.m.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X