New bike park rolls into Tucson

Selena Quintanilla
A UA student bikes toward 1st street on Wednesday, Sept. 21.

Tucson City Council approved plans for a new 100-acre bike park to be built at Golf Links Road and Alvernon Way. 

The park will be built by the Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists, a Tucson nonprofit dedicated to maintaining the desert environment and building trails for mountain bikers.

The project will cost $2,528,041 and will include multiple bike trails, paths, bridges, hills and bike attractions — including dirt jump tracks for kids and adults.

When completed, Wood Bike Park will consist of seven miles of trails and a variety of skill challenges for both beginning cyclists and the more experienced. 

In addition to these bicycle-related features, several support facilities will be developed, including a new entry drive from Golf Links Road, a paved parking lot with dusk-to-dawn lighting system, secure maintenance and storage areas and several ramadas.

Construction on the park is expected to begin this winter and will continue in phases as the money needed can be raised, although the trails — over 11 miles — are expected to be done by next spring. 

Old Main was the first building constructed on the University of Arizona campus.

UA recognized worldwide 

The University of Arizona was named a “best buy” school by the Fiske Guide to Colleges 2019.

The guide was founded in 1982 and identifies schools offering quality academic programs to students for an affordable price.

UA was one of 320 schools recognized worldwide, with only 20 of those schools in the U.S. and only 10 being public universities.

The guide highlighted UA’s honors college in addition to its science, engineering and business programs as well as the “100 percent engagement” initiative. 

“At the UA, we are committed to providing the best possible education at the lowest possible cost so that our students have the skills needed to be the innovators, leaders and global citizens in a rapidly changing 21st century landscape,” UA President Dr. Robert Robbins told the Daily Star.

The guide can be purchased online and identifies “stand-out” characteristics of each school, a self-quiz to help students understand what they are looking for in a college, lists of strong programs and popular majors at each college and exclusive academic, social and quality-of-life ratings. 

The Rialto Theatre is a concert and performance arts theater. It is located in Downtown Tucson on Congress Street.

First phase of ‘I Rock the Rialto’ campaign to break ground

The Rialto Theatre will be undergoing expanded renovations as part of the “I Rock the Rialto” campaign this July. 

The first phase of the project will bring updated, expanded and accessible restrooms to the building by this fall. These renovations are expected to last two months. 

The theater will have temporary facilities in the alley adjacent to the building until the project is complete and excuses the inconvenience for its patrons. 

The theater has raised over $700,000 toward the $1 million goal the campaign set for the entirety of the project. After the restrooms are finished, there are plans to tier the auditorium floor and upgrade the bar/concession areas in 2019. 

This plan was set forth to improve the theater for its 100th anniversary in 2020.  

Donations will remain open so the theater can reach its goal, and the Rialto staff encourages its patrons to help the cause. More information can be found at the theater and on its website.

The Rialto Theatre hosts music shows weekly. For a full schedule of their shows, view their calendar online. 

-Pascal Albright