“Holmes, Cason prowling for defensive awardsc”

Arizona defensive end Louis Holmes has been named to the preseason watch list for the Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year Award.

Holmes was one of two Pacific 10 Conference players to be named, along with USC’s Lawrence Jackson.

“”I’m very happy for him,”” said UA defensive ends coach Joe Robinson. “”It’s a tremendous honor, and we’re looking for a big season from Louis on the field as a senior leader for our football team.””

Last season, Holmes collected 36 tackles, four sacks, forced two fumbles and recovered one and blocked three passes. He was a second-team All-Pac-10 selection in his first season as a Wildcat after transferring from Scottsdale Community College in August.

The 6-foot-6-inch, 265-pound junior joins Arizona cornerback Antoine Cason as a top candidate for national defensive honors.

Cason has been named a preseason All-American by Playboy magazine and tagged on the Ronnie Lott and Bronko Nagurski awards watch lists. Both are given to the nation’s top defensive player.

Cason is also expected to be a contender for the Jim Thorpe Award, presented annually to the nation’s top defensive back.

“”They’re both very good players,”” Robinson said of Holmes and Cason, “”and hopefully they’ll both have a great senior season together.””

The recipient of the Hendricks Award will be announced Dec. 6, with the formal presentation made in March.