Annual UA art exhibit adds variety of undergrad student works this year

The 2022 BFA Exhibition featured the artwork of graduating seniors from the University of Arizona School of Art. (Photo courtesy of David Huber.)

The University of Arizona School of Art’s annual BFA Exhibition has a new twist this year: the Undergraduate Art Exhibition. 

Called the UAUA — University of Arizona Undergraduate Art — the show will feature works from students of all levels, from introductory through artists getting ready to graduate.

The show runs March 13-24 at the Lionel Rombach Gallery in the School of Art, 1031 N. Olive Rd. A reception will be held on Thursday, March 16.  

The undergraduate show was added this year to create a more inclusive program that allows more students to submit and have their works featured in a gallery. 

“We’re looking at a pretty massive blockbuster celebration of student art,” Lydia See, the School of Art gallery director, said. 

According to See, the shows will feature paintings, prints and 3D installations from around 75 student artists occupying almost 3,000 square feet of gallery space.  

The shows are used to model real-life art exhibitions, giving students hands-on experiences before they go out into the real world. 

Students even have a big part in coordinating the show. Student gallery managers work with See to create a gallery layout, loan agreements, checklists and even manage the gallery once the show begins. 

Stella Douglass, a student gallery manager and senior studying art history, loves being a part of the curatorial process and finally being able to work in galleries after COVID-19. 

“To get to do that as an undergrad is pretty cool,” Douglass said. “I always like to have art up in the galleries because it’s nice to have people coming in and engaging.”  

Uplifting student artists is a huge part of the School of Art curriculum, and the UAUA exhibition acts as an effort to feature more diverse and inclusive artwork from a variety of students. 

“We get to have the best job, which is amplifying young artists to show the best work that they possibly can and to feel empowered by what is sometimes their first real art show,” See said.

Admission to both the BFA exhibition and the UAUA exhibition is free. The BFA Exhibition runs from March 13 to April 3 in the Joseph Gross Gallery, also at the School of Art, where the reception will be held on March 16. 

More information can be found on the School of Art website.

*El Inde Arizona is a news service of the University of Arizona School of Journalism.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter