Kids these days ain’t what they used to be

Robbers and Cowards, the premiere album from the soul-rockin’ Cold War Kids, hit big amongst indie crowds before getting playtime on MTV and 92.1 KFMA. The album exposed the four-man band as a versatile alternative rock ensemble capable of shifting between soulful spirituals and energetic rock songs without missing a beat. How could Loyalty to Loyalty, the band’s newly-released second album, possibly live up to such a breakthrough debut?

In short: it couldn’t. The Kids went for a darker sound on their new album, straying more towards blues and r&b than the peppy, mainstream rock of Robbers. Many tracks are downbeat and tend to run together or slip out of mind entirely. Notable exceptions are the tracks “”Avalanche in B”” and “”I’ve Seen Enough,”” which, when played back-to-back, transition expertly from an emotional blues ballad to a heavy rock number akin to hits from their first album.

Though it’s still impossible not to appreciate the Kids’ considerable musical talents – especially singer Nathan Willet’s majestic voice, which functions as a one-man church choir – Loyalty reshapes the band’s energetic sound into something much more solemn. If you’re already a fan, give Loyalty to Loyalty a listen; new kids on the Cold War block will find more value in the lively Robbers and Cowards.