The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

79° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


    Police Beat

    A woman was cited and released for unlawful possession of marijuana at Bear Down Gym, 1428 E. University Blvd., Saturday.

    An officer was on assignment on the north side of the gym as thousands of people were entering for the Hilary Clinton rally.

    A woman sat down near the front of the line and lit a cigarette. After a few minutes, the officer smelled marijuana and approached the woman.

    The officer asked the woman what she was doing, and she quickly extinguished the marijuana cigarette by crushing it on the ground and handed the officer the remainder.

    The officer noticed that the remaining part of the cigarette looked and smelled like marijuana.

    The woman said she did not have any more marijuana or contraband on her.

    The officer escorted her away from the line and issued her a criminal citation for marijuana possession.

    She was released on the scene.

    A woman passed out from heat exhaustion during the Clinton rally, Saturday at Bear Down Gym.

    The woman was sitting in a chair behind the media bleachers when she passed out.

    Paramedics were called in and took the woman outside, where they checked her condition .

    She felt better shortly after and did not need to go to the University Medical Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave.

    A woman was arrested at Bear Down Gym on Saturday for assault.

    An officer was walking inside the gym during the Clinton rally as Clinton had finished talking and was signing autographs near the main stage.

    Two other officers were walking through the crowd providing plain-clothes security. The woman was within five feet of the senator when one of the officers excused himself and said he needed to go through.

    The woman pushed against him, so he told her that he was a police officer, and she pushed him again. He escorted her back with his forearm, and she punched him below his right eye and spit at his face.

    He pushed her away and she punched him twice more.

    He detained her and escorted her to the uniformed officer standing outside the crowd. The plain-clothes officer wished to press charges for a misdemeanor assault.

    She claimed she did not know he was a plain clothes officer.

    There was no apparent injury to the officer’s eye, but he said he could feel it. He said he previously had surgery to that eye, so that could have made the injury feel worse.

    The woman was cited for assault and released.

    A vehicle parked in Main Gate Parking Garage, 815 E. Second St., was broken into sometime Saturday morning.

    When an officer arrived at the garage he was met by the car’s owner, who said she parked her Toyota sport utility vehicle in the garage at 12:30 a.m. Saturday.

    The next morning she received a phone call from an unknown female who said she found the woman’s passport, prescription sheet (with the woman’s phone number on it) and wallet on the road.

    The woman realized her car had been broken into and went to the garage to check; she saw that her car was damaged and items had been removed from it.

    The front passenger door lock had been punched, and the passenger-side rear wing window had been shattered. Additionally, the air conditioner faceplate had been pulled off of the dashboard.

    The woman was unable to use the automatic door locks.

    An officer opened the car’s front hood and discovered the car battery had been disconnected.

    The woman told the officer that a 15-inch Rockford Fosgate subwoofer, an amplifier, a Pioneer stereo faceplate, an Adidas soccer bag, a pair of Adidas soccer cleats, shin guards, three Adidas soccer jerseys and a black purse with a Wells Fargo debit card and credit card had been taken.

    She said she called Wells Fargo to cancel her cards and that someone had attempted to use one twice at a Circle K on Saturday morning.

    The officer checked the screws on the car battery for fingerprints but could not get any. The woman said she was going to meet with the woman who found her property.

    The officer also requested that the case be forwarded to the detectives division to check the Circle K camera footage.

    Police have no suspects or witnesses.

    A man reported his green pickup truck stolen at the Main Gate Parking Garage on Jan. 30.

    When an officer arrived at the garage, the truck’s owner said he had parked his green Nissan on the ramp between the second and third levels and went to work at the Louise Foucar Marshall building, 845 N. Park Ave. When he returned to the garage, he noticed his car was missing, and checked the entire garage before calling the police.

    The officer checked the garage and could not locate the vehicle. A police aide and community-service officer checked the Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage, 880 E. Fourth St., and could not find the truck.

    The man said has been parking in the Main Gate garage for four years and was sure he did not park in any other garages. He also said he made sure his truck was locked before he left the garage.

    Police have no suspects or witnesses.

    Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at

    More to Discover
    Activate Search