The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

75° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


    Police Beat: September 4

    Phoning it in

    A faculty member received three threatening telephone calls between 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. on Aug. 28. The 58-year-old employee was in the Herbert K. Abrams Building at the time and emailed her department head when she received the threatening calls.

    A University of Arizona Police Department officer immediately spoke with the department head who reported the incident. The department head claimed that numerous complaints by department staff members had been sent in regarding this particular faculty member prior to the incident.

    UA Human Resources reviewed these complaints, and the staff members were informed of the findings and were told how to deal with such a situation in the future. The department head asked that the officer send someone to stand outside the room of their meeting the following day. She also requested patrol coverage in the area of the building.

    After talking to the department head, the officer called the victim who received the phone calls. She said that she received the calls in her office through her direct office telephone number.

    The three calls came from a blocked number and the person’s voice was masked. She couldn’t tell the gender of the caller and didn’t hear any background noises. The first caller said, “Tomorrow is doomsday.” The second caller said, “Enjoy today because tomorrow is your last day.” The third caller said, “You are finally getting what you deserve, you bitch. Enjoy it tomorrow.”

    The victim told the UAPD officer that she didn’t know who was calling her with these threats but said that the staff she works with had filed complaints about her in the past.

    The filed complaints made several accusations toward the employee, but a human resources investigation turned up no evidence that the accusations were true.

    The employee said she would like to be involved in any future judicial proceedings regarding her case of the threatening phone calls.

    The officer called University and Information Technology Systems to see if the blocked phone calls could be traced but the office was closed. There is no further information at this time.

    5 inches long

    An 18-year-old resident of Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall was sent to the Dean of Students’ Office at 9:15 p.m. on Aug. 28 for the purchase and use of marijuana. The resident assistant on duty reported the smell of marijuana coming from a room on the first floor.

    A UAPD officer arrived at the scene, smelled the odor and knocked on the first floor room.

    A male resident of the hall answered the door, saying he lived in the room, and another resident appeared soon after.

    The officer asked them to give up the marijuana and the first resident pulled out a glass pipe and a glass container with marijuana, all from his closet.

    The marijuana weighed seven grams and the long blue and white glass pipe was 5 inches long. The first resident said he had bought the marijuana from “some guy in Tucson.”

    He wouldn’t provide any further information, other than the fact that he claimed the second resident had nothing to do with the marijuana purchase.

    The first resident was then directed to the Dean of Students.

    Bump and run

    A hit and run occurred between 10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. in the Park Avenue Parking Garage on Aug. 28.

    The 23-year-old owner of a 2009 Silver Toyota Corolla reported the incident to UAPD as soon as he returned to his car and realized the damages. It was clear that the rear bumper on the passenger side had been struck. The bumper was scratched and a piece on the passenger side was separated about a quarter of an inch.

    The officer searched for any paint residue that may have been left by the second vehicle, but no evidence was found. There were no witnesses or suspects.

    More to Discover
    Activate Search