Charges dropped against Arizona running back Ka’Deem Carey

On Friday, the Tucson City Prosecutor’s Office decided to drop the disorderly conduct and assault charges filed against Arizona star running back Ka’Deem Carey.

The consensus All-American was scheduled to be tried next month. He was accused of assaulting his pregnant ex-girlfriend on Dec. 23 and was issued a no-contact order with her.

“A key witness for the prosecution is unavailable, and even if the witness were available, there is no substantial likelihood that a judge would convict Mr. Carey,” the city said in a press release, the Arizona Daily Star reported.

In April, Carey’s ex-girlfriend, Marissa Rambow, requested the no-contact order be dropped and it was granted.

Carey’s defense attorneys at Farhang & Medcoff released a statement.

“We are very pleased with the City Attorney’s decision to unilaterally dismiss the charges against Ka’Deem,” the Farhand & Medcoff statement said. “Ka’Deem did nothing wrong and the City Attorney’s determination to drop the case is an acknowledgement of that fact.

“It is unfortunate that this proper and obvious conclusion was not reached prior to the filing of the unjustified charges.”

Carey led the nation in rushing last season with 1,929 yards and also broke the Arizona records for yards in a season and rushing touchdowns. The UA started a Heisman Trophy campaign for Carey but stopped it after the arrest.

“With great humility, Ka’Deem thanks God for this correct outcome and extends his utmost gratitude to his family, friends, teammates, coaches, and the entire Wildcat Nation for their unwavering support during this very difficult time,” Farhand & Medcoff said.

“While Ka’Deem is thankful to be so thoroughly vindicated, he remains steadfastly focused on earning his degree and a successful 2013 football season.”