Judge orders police officer to stay away from comrade

An altercation at the village Police Department led to a legal rarity — one police officer obtaining a temporary “”no stalking”” court order that requires a fellow cop to keep his distance.

St. Clair County Circuit Court Judge Brian Babka on Monday signed a “”stalking no-contact order”” good until April 11, that directs part-time police officer Michael Baxton not to come closer than 500 feet to fellow officer Marcus R. Smith.

Smith, a nine-year veteran of the department, stated in a court document that Baxton, who was off-duty and in his private vehicle, sought his help to stop a speeder, but Smith said he was too busy with other calls. A confrontation later ensued at the Police Department.

While Baxton, a candidate for the Cahokia School District 187 Board of Education and a former East St. Louis police chief, must stay away from Smith, he is allowed to come to the station to work as directed by Alorton Police Chief Corey Allen.

“”I don’t know what this guy is talking about,”” said Baxton, who also works as a truant officer for the Cahokia school district where his wife, Willie Baxton, was elected to the board in 2009. The election is April 5.

In an application for the emergency no-contact order, Smith said he was on duty on Friday night and had an assault suspect handcuffed to a bench in a case. The victim of the assault was at a hospital in danger of losing her leg. He then was forced to leave that case to investigate a possible suicide, Smith said.

As he responded, Smith said he received a radio call from Baxton who was off-duty in his private vehicle, stating a car was fleeing at 82 mph. Allen, the police chief, joined the chase in his official car and stopped the speeder, who was released without a citation.

Later that night, when Baxton showed up at the station, Smith said Baxton angrily confronted him with vulgarities and demanded to know why he had not come to his aid.

A report made by Smith, which was attached to the application for court order, stated that Baxton, accompanied by his wife, made threats at the station and moved toward Smith, but backed off. The next day, Baxton blocked his squad car that was parked in the department’s lot, Smith said.

Three Illinois State Police officers and a St. Clair County Sheriff Department sergeant showed up at the station on Friday night in response to a call for help, but no one was charged.