Staff Picks

Washington at Arizona

Wildcats should at least knock off the lesser of the two Washington teams if they want to stay afloat in the Pac-10 race. Also, the Huskies have given up the most points in the conference and haven’t won too much on the road this season. All in all, I think Arizona has a good shot.

Arizona 71 Washington 65

-Alex Dalenberg, sports writer

It has been a rough few weeks for the Arizona basketball team; and sure, the Wildcats instill as much confidence as Roger Clemens in his current state, but Chase and the boys may have turned a corner with the hard-fought win against California last Saturday. Arizona’s season will begin to turn around.

Arizona 78 Washington 71

-Bobby Stover, sports writer

Let the hate mail begin, because I’m going to do it. Washington is going to beat Arizona. Yeah, I said it. I don’t know what it is, but I’m just not feeling the Wildcats this year. I just have no faith in Kevin O’Neill. Bayless has been hurt, and their big men continue to get into foul trouble. Washington’s Jon Brockman is a beast on the offensive and defensive glass and will be the top dog on the floor Saturday.

Washington 75 Arizona 64

-Michael Fitzpatrick, sports writer

USC at Oregon

USC pulled off an upset against rival and then-No. 4 UCLA last Saturday. The Trojans fired off 72 points against a good UCLA team that gives up an average of 56.9 points per game. Oregon played well on the road, however, against No. 6 Washington State last week and now returns home to host the Trojans. Screw it, I’m just going to toss a coin. Looks like its tails – which means Oregon. Wow, I’m a great analyst.

Oregon 71 USC 69

-Alex Dalenberg, sports writer

Oregon has been coming on pretty strong lately and USC’s season up to this point could be described as a disappointment. Now, with the new investigation on star player OJ Mayo, the team will crumble from the outside in. Oh, and Carmelo Anthony will be in the stands to witness the Ducks down the Trojans, compliments of Mayo.

Oregon 82 USC 73

-Bobby Stover, sports writer

O.J. Mayo only cares about the ball, and getting to the NBA as quickly as possible. What he doesn’t care about is helping his team win meaningful ball games. He went to USC for the city of Los Angeles and nothing else. Oregon has five players averaging 10.8 PPG or more. They are immensely difficult to beat at home, and especially when the opposing teams best player isn’t a team player.

Oregon 72 USC 58

-Michael Fitzpatrick, sports writer

Gonzaga at No. 1 Memphis\

The tale of the tape says a tiger can weigh anywhere from 140 to 670 pounds. The bulldog, while fierce looking, only weighs in around 40-50 pounds. Also, Memphis is undefeated, ranked No. 1 and playing at home, while Gonzaga almost let lowly San Francisco back into a game after trailing by 19 in the fourth quarter last week. Sheer pound for pound killing power and conventional wisdom says I’m going with the Tigers on this one.

Memphis 73 Gonzaga 64

-Alex Dalenberg, sports writer

This should be good. A solid non-conference game for both teams, but let’s be honest, it’s just another chance for the powerful Tigers to get a look at a different style of play. So basically it’s another chance for Memphis to crush an opponent from yet another conference. But for the sake of irony, go Bulldogs.

Gonzaga 77 Memphis 76

-Bobby Stover, sports writer

Memphis is No. 1 and playing at home. And they are going to lose because they think they are the royalty of the NCAA. What have they won, ever? Nothing, and they are going to overlook Mark Few’s Bulldogs because they don’t see Gonzaga as a difficult opponent. I admit that this is a reach and I honestly have no idea what I’m talking about, but if this past football season taught us anything it is to expect the unexpected. But once the unexpected becomes expected, is the expected now unexpected? Whatever the answer is, the Zags are going to win … somehow.

Gonzaga 57 Memphis 54

-Michael Fitzpatrick, sports writer