Staff picks

Arizona at New Mexico

Ari Wasserman assistant sports editor
    You have to be crazy if you think Arizona is just going to stroll into University Stadium, which pumps in crowd noise, and walk out with a win. The Lobo Nation (Oww Oww) will be crawling for the Wildcats to get out there. I mean, what else is there to do in lovely Albuquerque? But after the shenanigans the Lobos pulled at Arizona Stadium last year after knocking off the Wildcats, Arizona has been champing at the bit to play them again. I’d expect another blowout.
    Arizona 45, New Mexico 0

Vincent Balistreri sports writer
    After the first two games of the season the Wildcats winning a bowl bid seems inevitable, but let’s not get carried away. They played Idaho and Toledo. This week they take on a New Mexico team which came into Arizona Stadium last year and stunned the Wildcats 29-27. But this year, with a backfield led by Reggie Bush – I mean Nic Grigsby – Arizona will get its revenge.
    Arizona 31, New Mexico 27

Bryan Roy assistant sports editor
    Let’s just say, ever since David Hasselhoff roamed the Zona Zoo with his daughter – proclaiming it to be “”fucking awesome”” in his video clip that aired on SportsCenter with some bleeps – the Wildcats are 2-0 by a silly win margin. With that said, it’s officially the Year of the Hoff. Note to Hasselhoff: Invest in season tickets. Note to Lobo Nation: Don’t ‘Hassle the ‘Cats.’
    Arizona 25, New Mexico 14

No. 5 Ohio State at No. 1 USC

Ari Wasserman assistant sports editor
    It’s funny how much the national perception can hinge on years past, and the Buckeyes are certainly paying for that now. People remember Ohio State’s blunders against Florida and LSU in the last two title games but have forgotten about USC’s loss to Stanford. While the Buckeyes may not be as talented as the Trojans (who is?), to say they will be blown out by USC is ridiculous. Trust me, Buckeye fans are nervous, but at least they aren’t playing an SEC team. Plus, it’s important to remember that Trojans break 15 percent of the time. Look for me, ill be wearing red.
    Ohio State 29, USC 27

Vincent Balistreri sports writer
    This is a statement game for USC to show the country that it’s ready to make a run at a national championship after three years of disappointment. Let’s just hope two teams can stay undefeated, after the Trojans manhandle Ohio State so we don’t have to see the Buckeyes get smashed in yet another championship game like they have the last two years.
    No. 1 USC 35, No. 5 Ohio State 24

Bryan Roy assistant sports editor
    Nothing’s dirtier than Mark Sanchez at a Coliseum home opener. (That’s dirty in a good way). The boys from Columbus, Ohio – one of the nation’s fastest “”dying”” cities, according to Forbes – will collapse in the Hollywood spotlights worse than when Vince Vaughn split ways with Owen Wilson in “”Wedding Crashers.”” Don’t even take the Buckeyes with points (10.5) because come Saturday, Ohio State couldn’t handle USC worse than F.E.M.A. during Hurricane Katrina.
    No. 1 USC 52, No. 5 Ohio State 14

No. 10 Wisconsin at No. 21 Fresno State

Ari Wasserman assistant sports editor
    One look at Wisconsin and the same thing is seen – bruising running back P.J. Hill. While he isn’t the most powerful runner in the Big Ten (behind Beanie Wells), he will cut through Fresno State’s defensive line like a cookie cutter. Having spent some time in Fresno this summer, I do feel bad for the Bulldog Faithful, who have been looking forward to this game for the entire year. Unfortunately, P.J. Hill is going to run all over them and leave some of his Badger Milk behind.
    Wisconsin 41, Fresno State 6

Vincent Balistreri sports writer
    Every year at around this time the Badgers find themselves in the top 10, but they always find away to fall off at the end of the season. This year they will lose sooner than expected because Fresno State is ready to make some noise in the BCS, led by senior quarterback Tom Brandstater. This will be the Bulldogs’ first home game of the season, so the 41,000 in attendance will be going crazy and be prepared to rush the field.
    No. 21 Fresno State 24, No.10 Wisconsin 14

Bryan Roy assistant sports editor
    Beer makers, cheese and quality football always trump any other trifecta or combination. In the case of Wisconsin, the cheese heads themselves call home to all three commodities. To the best of my memory, the last good thing to ever come out of Fresno was Brook and Robin Lopez – the funniest set of NBA twins about to shock the league.
    No. 10 Wisconsin 24, No. 21 Fresno State 14