Fourth of July activities take over Tucson

A view of downtown Tucson from the Sixth Street parking garage. On Wednesday the roof of several garages will be open to the public to view fireworks over A Mountain.
    A view of downtown Tucson from the Sixth Street parking garage. On Wednesday the roof of several garages will be open to the public to view fireworks over ‘A’ Mountain.

Independence Day is here again! A day specially made for barbecuing, scarfing apple pies and lamenting the fall of the British occupation in North America. Get yourself starred, spangled and ready for some fireworks by taking your pick of places to celebrate on the Fourth of July.

The UA will host its annual fireworks show from atop campus parking garages. Parking and Transportation Services will prohibit parking at the top level of the Sixth Street, Tyndall Avenue, Main Gate, Park Avenue and Highland Avenue garages. Students, friends and family are invited to bring lawn chairs and snacks to the show, scheduled to begin at 9:30 p.m., although alcohol is not permitted. More information is available at www.parking.arizona.edu

Head on down to The Center for the Advancement of the Local Arts, 1248 N. Main Ave., for a car show, live music and a great view of the evening fireworks set off from “”A”” Mountain. Festivities last from 3-10 p.m. $2 admission for adults, free for children under 12. Call 403-5989 for more information.

For a night filled with patriotic tunes, try the Independence Day Celebration, featuring popular music by the Tucson Symphony Orchestra, children’s activities and fireworks released to the beat of the “”1812 Overture.”” Begins at 7:30 p.m. Canada Del Oro Riverfront Park, 551 W. Lambert Lane. Entry free with a donation of a nonperishable food item.

The Tucson Convention Center, 260 S. Church Ave., will also hold an evening celebration, including a barbecue, music and, of course, fireworks. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords is scheduled to appear. The cost is $8 for students. Call 319-0400 for more information. 8-9:30 p.m.

The 4th of July Extravaganza will be held at the Hilton Tucson El Conquistador, 10000 N. Oracle Road. A $20 cover charge will get you in to see a live concert featuring Rocco DeLuca and the Burden, Lifehouse and Ryanhood. There will also be food vendors and carnival games. Doors open at 3 p.m. with performances at 4 p.m. Fireworks will begin around 9 p.m.

How about taking a break from Tucson on your day off? The city of Benson not only has a parade and fireworks, but also boasts an annual water fight that is sure to take the edge off the sun.

Festivities from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Free.

Bisbee is also celebrating with the famous Bisbee Iron Man Mile run. Other events going on throughout the day include the Bisbee Coaster Races, contests of traditional mining skills, a baseball game and, you guessed it, fireworks! From 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Admission prices vary.

– compiled by Astrid Duffy and Yusra Tekbali