Softball named No. 1 in new poll

Arizona softball interim head coach Larry Ray said he is as confident as ever in his team’s ability to make another run for a third consecutive national title.

Even in the absence of legendary coach Mike Candrea, who is coaching the U.S. Olympic Softball team, it seems as if the whole softball world is with him.

The two-time defending national champion softball squad was named as the No. 1 team in the ESPN.com/USA Softball and Pacific 10 Conference coaches polls, released yesterday.

“”It would be much better if we were No. 1 in June,”” Ray said. “”It is a nice feeling and we have been here before and our team knows that everyone is gunning for us and we are going to have to be ready.””

In the USA Softball poll, Arizona received 14 first-place votes out of the 20 possible, with the other six going to No. 2 ASU (3), No. 3 Texas A&M (2) and No. 10 UCLA (1).

In the Pac-10 poll, Arizona just edged No. 2 ASU for the top spot, out-gaining the Sun Devils by one vote, 45-44. Both teams received four first-place votes from the coaches.

The Wildcats have been back to the national championship game the following year after every NCAA title they won, making them an easy pick.

Arizona is coming off a 50-14-1 record and a Pac-10 championship last season, but it is far from satisfied. The Wildcats are seeking their first three-peat in school history.

UA pitcher Taryne Mowatt said, “”Nothing short than (a) No. 1 (ranking) and a championship”” is the team’s main goal at the end of the season.

ESPN.com/USA Softball Preseason Poll
    Rank Team (First Place Votes)

1. Arizona (14)
    2. Arizona St. (3)
    3. Texas A&M (2)
    4. Alabama
    5. Oklahoma
    6. Northwestern
    7. LSU
    8. DePaul
    9. Baylor
    10. UCLA (1)
    11. Tennessee
    12. Michigan
    13. Florida
    14. Washington
    15. Virginia Tech
    16. Hawaii
    17. Stanford
    18. Georgia Tech
    19. Oregon State
    20. Louisiana-Lafayette
    21. Missouri
    22. Ohio State
    23. Oregon
    T24. Cal St. Fullerton
    T24. Texas