“Inconsistency, bad weather plague Arizona men’s golf”

The UA men’s golf team had some ups and downs on an individual level Tuesday but remained in 10th place out of 12 teams at the CordeValle Collegiate tournament hosted by UCLA.

The Wildcats hit a 21-over-par 381 in round two, giving them a 47-over total with one final round to go. No. 4 USC leads the tournament at 1 under – 19 strokes ahead of No. 11 Stanford.

“”It was real cold and the wind blew pretty hard, so the golf course played extremely hard,”” UA head coach Rick LaRose said of the CordeValle Country Club, a par 72, 7,169-yard course.

Only David Rawluk of Charlotte – who hit 4 under on the day – scored better than UA sophomore Roberto Galleti, who carded a 2-under-par 70 in round two, 11 strokes better than the day before.

Meanwhile, Brad Nicholson, whom LaRose called the only bright spot for the Wildcats after hitting a 4 over in the first round, scored a 12 over Tuesday.

“”Sounds like it’s pretty inconsistent, doesn’t it?”” LaRose said. “”Sounds like they’re capable of doing it, but not on a very consistent basis. Galleti, obviously, has a lot of talent. He’s got the capability of shooting a good score every day, it’s just a question of whether all the ducks are in a row for him.

“”Nicholson, some days he plays good,”” LaRose added. “”He’ll probably play decent (today) now.””

The 17th hole was detrimental to the Wildcats, as three players bogeyed, one double bogeyed and Nicholson shot 4 over par for the hole. Senior Tyler Neal, who hit 8 over on the day, was the only Wildcat to card a par on the par 4, 478-yard hole.

LaRose said players are almost expected to have a tough time on the 17th because of the conditions.

“”You’ve got the drive of about 300 yards into the wind,”” LaRose said. “”And then you’ve got about a 220-yard shot to a green that’s severely sloped and guarded by bunkers. It’s a very difficult hole.””

With the possibility of placing high in the tournament gone, the head coach said the team will use the last day – which is expected to be colder and windier – to regain any composure it can and increase its skills in a very difficult setting.

“”We are what we are,”” LaRose said, “”and we’re gonna get better.””