‘Cats earn recognition

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Nic Wise iced the game in double-overtime with a layup with just over one second left to beat the USC Trojans 86-84 Saturday in McKale Center. It was Senior Day for the Cats as Nic Wise played his last game in McKale.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat Nic Wise iced the game in double-overtime with a layup with just over one second left to beat the USC Trojans 86-84 Saturday in McKale Center. It was Senior Day for the ‘Cats as Nic Wise played his last game in McKale.

The national media is beginning to pick up on Derrick Williams.

The 6-foot-8 forward was named to The Sporting News’ First-Team All Freshman team with the nation’s other high-profile players John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins of Kentucky, Xavier Henry of Kansas and Derrick Favors of Georgia Tech.

Williams also received the Pac-10 Freshman of the Year award for his team-leading 15.7 points and 7.0 rebounds per game.

“”I wouldn’t have gotten FOY if it wasn’t for (Nic Wise) and rest of the team,”” Williams wrote on Twitter.

Wrote Wise on Twitter: “”Yessiirrrr congrats to the lil homie (Derrick Williams) gettin Pac-10 Freshman of the Year.””

Williams joined Wise on the All-Pac-10 team — the school’s 54th and 55th players named to the list since 1978.

Wrote Wise on Twitter: “”Appreciate the Love that everyones givin me for bein All Pac-10. love yall.””

Arizona also announced its own awards during a team banquet Monday night.

Wise and Williams earned co-honors for the Fred Enke Most Outstanding Player Award. Wise also won the Mo Udall Captains Award.

Other honorees included freshman forward Kevin Parrom, who earned the Best Defender Award, and freshman guard Momo Jones, who won the Most Improved Player Award. Center Alex Jacobson was named the Best Teammate.

The Golden ‘A’ Award, given to the players with the highest garde point average, was given to guard Kyle Fogg and forward Max Wiepking.