Where to get eats with the ‘rents

Hey soon-to-be grads. If your family is coming down to see you this weekend, do them a solid: don’t take them to Chipotle or O’Hungry’s for lunch. Give them a real Tucson dining experience. Here’s a list of local eateries, drinkeries and general hang-out-eries where you can feed the ‘rents some genuine Tucson flavor.

Lindy’s on 4th:

Feed your hungry siblings some sky-high hamburgers. With atypical toppings including potato salad, fried egg, onion rings and mac ‘n’ cheese, this heart-stopping hamburger joint of “”Man v. Food”” fame is a gluttonous study in burger dynamics. Cheap beer and the chance to immortalize your face on the Lindy’s wall by downing the epic 12-patty “”O.M.F.G burger”” fatten the deal. Just show up early; the modest eatery fills up fast, and so will you.

431 N. Fourth Ave.; 207-2384; Open Monday 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.; Tuesday-Wednesday 11 a.m. – 10 p.m.; Thursday-Saturday 11 a.m. – 2 a.m.; Sunday 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.

— Brandon Specktor

Miss Saigon:

This unassuming spot nestled in one of Tucson’s ubiquitous strip malls manages to evoke both the best food this town has to offer and the bustling, aromatic streets of Saigon. Pretty much universally acknowledged as the best Vietnamese food in town, Miss Saigon is bound to be packed during normal lunch and dinner hours, but it’s worth the wait. Everything on the menu is good, but you’d be remiss not to try a hot, flavorful bowl of pho — traditional Vietnamese noodle soup, which can contain anything from tofu and veggies to thin strips of rare beef. Don’t forget to sample something from Miss Saigon’s impressive list of boba teas and smoothies.

1072 N. Campbell Ave.; 320-9511; Open Monday – Saturday 10:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m. and Sunday 11:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.

— Heather Price-Wright

Hub Restaurant and Ice Creamery:

A relative newcomer to Tucson’s downtown scene, Hub has quickly established itself as a hotspot. The interior features self-consciously cool décor, like table lamps hung upside down from the ceiling as chandeliers, and a more than adequate offering of beer, wine and signature cocktails, if you’re of imbibing age. The food is gastro-pub chic, with hearty meats cured on-site, comfort favorites like potpie and mac and cheese, and enough vegetable-heavy options to satisfy healthier eaters. But if you come for the food and the ambience, stay for the ice cream, which is creative, creamy and all-around to die for. The salted caramel is particularly luscious.

266 E. Congress St.; 207-8201; Open daily 11 a.m. – 2 a.m.  

— Heather Price-Wright

Rosa’s Mexican Food:

If your family is coming from somewhere without a decent Mexican restaurant (chains don’t count, not even Chipotle) you’d be doing them a disservice not to take them out for some no-frills Sonoran food. Rosa’s is a Tucson staple, and its big tables, big menus and smiley service make it perfect for big family meals. Start out with an impressively enormous cheese crisp and a couple of margaritas, and prepare to spend the rest of the day in a happy food coma brought on by one of Rosa’s hefty, delicious combination plates. This is what coming to Tucson is all about.

1750 E. Fort Lowell Rd., #164; 325-0362; Open daily

11 a.m. – 10 p.m.

— Heather Price-Wright

BK Carne Asada & Hot Dogs:

If you’ve never been, BK is a Mexican must-eat. No, it’s not that burger place you’re thinking of — although you can get a burger if you’re deranged enough not to order a Sonoran dog (or two, or four) with everything on it and a carne asada caramelo. With two locations, you can munch on cheap, tasty Mexican food that rivals El Guero Canelo whether you’re on the south side or hanging out closer to campus.

5118 S. 12th Ave. and 2680 N. First Ave; 295-0105; Open daily at 9 a.m. – midnight, except Friday and Saturday, when it closes at 2:30 a.m.

— Kellie Mejdrich

Café Desta:

This fresh Ethiopian café that packs a lot of flavor into one large, oval-shaped plate lined with injira, the Ethiopian sponge-like bread that diners scoop their food into using their hands. With many vegetarian options as well as flavorful beef, chicken and lamb dishes, this café offers seriously diverse and complex flavors that are both delicious and healthy. Teff, the grain that makes the injira bread, is high in protein, fiber, iron and calcium. But all that health talk doesn’t make Ethiopian food any less of a decadent experience — that is, as long as you’re willing to get your hands dirty.

758 S. Stone Ave.; 370-7000; Open Monday-Thursday and Sunday, 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday,

11 a.m. – 10 p.m.

— Kellie Mejdrich

Caruso’s:

Don’t relegate Fourth Avenue to just the final college pub crawl after commencement or the 6 a.m. run to The Buffet to make that College of Humanities ceremony extra special. Caruso’s has been a Tucson institution since long before you started going to school here — and for good reason.?Plates of overflowing spaghetti, ravioli, chicken and veal and a small line-up of desserts served on classic checkered tablecloth make this a great place to take your parents. Just be sure to watch for marinara on your white dress shirt or linen skirt.

434 N. Fourth Ave.; 624-5765. Open Tuesday-Thursday and Sunday 11:30 a.m. – 10 p.m.; Friday-Saturday

11:30 p.m. – 11 p.m.

— Jazmine Woodberry