DRC students lose priority registration

Pre-business freshman Caroline Thompson works on an assignment at the Disability Resource Center computer lab yesterday. DRC students will lose the privilege of registering early for classes starting spring semester.

Students in the Disability Resource Center will no longer be able sign up for courses early with priority registration.

Effective next semester, students who previously used priority registration in conjunction with the SALT Center or the DRC will register based on class level.

While SALT and the DRC are similar, only SALT students with documented disabilities were previously given priority registration through the DRC, said Sue Kroeger, director of the DRC.

The priority registration policy for students with disabilities was implemented years ago, when students were registering for classes only a week before classes began, Kroeger said.

“”It was difficult then for students to get the accommodations they needed in such short time,”” Kroeger said. “”Because students can now register for classes nearly a semester in advance, priority registration is no longer necessary.””

Kroeger said she has not had many complaints from DRC students about the policy change.

“”If a student really needs priority registration because of scheduling or graduation conflicts, we are more than happy to sit down and see what we can do to help them,”” Kroeger said. “”We still have the ability to make individual accommodations.””

Requests for DRC accommodations can now be made online during the time of registration, ensuring that students who need accommodations such as a sign language translator or extra time on tests will still be given access, Kroeger said.

“”A request for accommodation will be submitted online and will go through to faculty members, who will be notified of the need,”” Kroeger said.

Joslyn Charles, an undeclared freshman and SALT student, said she feels the policy change is fair.

“”In SALT, we are getting the help and resources that we need, but that doesn’t mean that we should get the first pick of classes,”” Charles said.

Kroeger said the shift in policy is practical as well as philosophical.

“”We also don’t want to send the message that students with disabilities need priority registration simply because they are disabled,”” Kroeger said.

Bri Ehrlich, a creative writing senior and DRC student, said she is worried that the policy change will postpone her graduation.

“”I’m trying to graduate in May,”” Ehrlich said. “”A lot of my classes are workshops where seats are limited, and if I can’t get into these classes, I won’t be able to graduate.””

Jerret Kasper, a pre-business sophomore and SALT student, said he doesn’t think there will be many conflicts arising over the loss of priority registration.

“”I liked having priority registration,”” Kasper said, “”but I’m not too worried because I should still be able to get my classes.””

Kroeger said if disability is the issue, the DRC will be accommodating.

“”We have simply changed the policy because it is no longer necessary, and we wanted to make registration for DRC students the same as for anyone else,”” Kroeger said.

There are nearly 1,600 students registered with the DRC, and most of them previously used priority registration, Kroeger said.