Study authors positive despite poor turnout

Paul Portney, dean of the Eller College of Management, makes introductory comments at the public forum last night to discuss the UAs self-study of the athletic department.
    Paul Portney, dean of the Eller College of Management, makes introductory comments at the public forum last night to discuss the UA’s self-study of the athletic department.

Apathy prevailed at yesterday’s public forum to discuss the UA’s self-study of Arizona Athletics, as the event was cut nearly an hour short amid low turnout and sparse public input.

About 15 people attended the forum at the Marvin D. “”Swede”” Johnson building, where contributors took feedback on a draft of the study. The university must review the athletic department every 10 years in order for it to remain affiliated with the NCAA.

All but three attendees were members of either the study’s steering committee or its subcommittees.

UA alumnus Michael Cooper asked the only three questions from a front-row seat, none of which addressed the study’s content. He said he had not read any of the 350-page draft, which was available online.

“”I figured, ‘No one else has a question, let’s give them something to talk about,'”” said Cooper, 59, whose father, Carl, was a former Arizona track and field coach.

The study addresses 63 issues that the NCAA requests its member universities answer in writing to receive accreditation.

The UA report divides these issues into three categories: Academic Integrity, Equity and Student-Athlete Well-Being, and Governance and Rules Compliance.

Subcommittees were assigned to each category. Answering questions on their behalf last night were Paul Capp, a former radiology professor, Saundra Taylor, retired vice president of student affairs, and Juan Garcia, vice provost of the office of academic affairs.

Paul Portney, dean of the Eller College of Management, headed the forum. He viewed the lack of public input as a positive, saying the lack of complaints spoke to Arizona’s strong chances of being reaccredited.

“”This is the antithesis of a renegade (athletic) program,”” he said.

Calder Hynes, an art history junior, said he also had not read any of the report. Nonetheless, he was compelled to attend as a Tucson native and lifelong UA sports fan.

“”I always hear about the infractions at other schools, and I didn’t want it to happen here,”” he said.

The final draft of the study is due to the NCAA May 1. Until then, anyone may view it at www.arizonaathletics.com/ncaa-self-study and submit comments on an accompanying form.

NCAA staff will come to campus in November to perform a peer review, which will include touring athletic facilities and checking for services mentioned in the study.

If the athletic department meets all standards, it will be reaccredited in early 2008.

Hynes said he was disappointed more people did not attend the forum, but Cooper said he felt confident in the committees’ efforts thus far.

“”That was the highlight for me – we’re doing real good,”” Cooper said.