Police Beat: Nov. 13

Need a light?

University of Arizona Police Department officers were near the Navajo-Pinal Residence Hall on Nov. 3 at 12:07 a.m. when they were flagged down by a police aide who reported witnessing a theft.

According to the police aide, a man had been riding by the bike racks outside of the dorm. The man stopped near the bike rack, jumper over the railing, took a light from a bicycle that did not appear to belong to him, and then rode away.

A man matching the description given by the police aide was located at the northwest corner of Highland Avenue and Sixth Street. Officers contacted the man and he identified himself with an Arizona identification card.

Officers informed the man of the reason for the contact, but he denied doing anything wrong. He told police that he had seen the light lying on the ground near the bike rack and picked it up.

He later admitted that he had taken the light from a bicycle that did not belong to him, after he was informed that a witness had watched the incident. He then told police that as he was riding his bicycle on Sixth Street, he noticed the light on a bicycle that he knew was not his.

He said he took the light without the intention of returning it, and when he noticed the police aide’s vehicle, he fled the area. He further told police that his bicycle lights were always getting stolen and it was getting too expensive to replace them, so that was the reason that he took the light.

He was cited on charges of theft and released on scene. He was also warned that he would face trespassing charges and/or exclusion if he returned to campus. The light was placed into police property and a note was left for the owner.

High Gravity. It’s not just a rule …

UAPD officers were on Park Avenue Parking Garage on Nov. 3 at 2:51 p.m. when they observed a man at a bus stop drinking from what appeared to be a can of beer.

Officers made contact with the man and discovered that the man had been drinking from a 32-ounce can of Hurricane High Gravity Lager. The man identified himself with a Washington state identification card. Officers disposed of the remaining contents of the can and cited the man on charges of drinking in public. He was released on scene.

Mercedes-Benz customized by unknown person(s)

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house on Nov. 3 at 4:28 p.m. in reference to a report of criminal damage.

Upon arrival, officers met with a man who reported that unknown person or persons had keyed his Mercedes-Benz while it sat in the fraternity’s parking lot. According to the man, he had parked his vehicle in the lot at approximately noon and when he returned at 3 p.m., he discovered scratches all over the car.

One of the scratches ran from the driver’s side rear door to the taillight of the car, and another was isolated right around the Mercedes-Benz emblem on the vehicle’s trunk lid.

The man told police that he had no idea who would want to damage his vehicle but admitted that the parking lot was in a high-traffic area. Officers took photographs of the damage as evidence. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Man strokes his piece in UA parking lot

UAPD officers were dispatched to a university parking lot on Nov. 3 at 10:20 p.m. in reference to a report of a man exposing himself to a woman.

On arrival, officers met with a woman who told them that she and a friend had been at the Student Recreation Center for volleyball practice. The woman left the Rec Center and walked to the parking lot. She got into her car and started it and as she was backing out of her parking space, she noticed a man standing behind her vehicle, holding his bare penis in his hand and stroking it in a back and forth motion.

The woman then left the area and reported the incident. She described the man as 40 to 50 years old, with gray hair and wearing a striped, button-down shirt. Police were unable to locate any suspects.

Soccer practice canceled at Murphey Field

UAPD officers responded to Murphey Field on Nov. 4 at 2:53 p.m. in reference to a 911 hang up.

On arrival, officers observed two women inside the field area. As officers went to enter the field, they noticed that both gates to the facility were closed and locked. Police used a department keyset to gain entry to the field. They made contact with the two women inside and asked them how they were able to enter the field.

The women told police that they had climbed over the locked gate. They further told police that they were practicing for an intramural soccer team and believed that they were allowed to do so because they were students. Officers informed the women that they had committed a crime by entering the facility and in the future, if they wished to gain access to Murphey Field, they would have to get prior authorization from the university’s recreation department.

In lieu of arrest, officers informed the women that the incident would be referred to the Dean of Students Office. Both women were released on scene.