Cats’ bats explode; Guilmet keeps rolling

With its pitcher rolling, the Arizona baseball team found its struggling offense – more than enough of it at that.

Wildcat ace Preston Guilmet took a no-hitter into the sixth inning – the second time he flirted with a no-no this season – and the Arizona bats recorded double digit hits and runs for the first time in a month in a 16-2 win over Liberty (28-20) Friday night.

“”We need some offense right now, and the way you create offense is by doing the little things, and obviously having your lead-off people in scoring position is just a lot more fun,”” said UA head coach Andy Lopez.

“”I think some guys got a little bit comfortable, and it’s OK to be comfortable when you’re going good, but if you’re not going good, it’s the last thing you need. You need some urgency.””

Guilmet (9-1) didn’t surrender a hit until Kenneth Negron’s two-out single to right field in the sixth inning for the No. 15 Wildcats (33-11, 10-5 Pacific 10 Conference).

“”It’s just another game, there’s nothing else to it,”” Guilmet said of the no-hit bid. “”If you give up a hit, then you give it up; if you don’t, you don’t.””

The sophomore, who opened the season with eight no-hit innings in a win over Gonzaga, finished the game with six strikeouts, increasing his Pac-10-leading total to 110. His seven scoreless innings lowered his conference-best ERA to 1.68, and came on a season-low 86 pitches.

“”I’m not a big fan of going short like that,”” Guilmet said, “”but it’s not a step back or anything.””

Left fielder Diallo Fon broke out of 1-for-17 skid with a three-run shot to left center as part of a five-run second inning and third baseman Brad Glenn would add his seventh home run of the year in the sixth, when Arizona pushed four more across.

“”I didn’t think I hit it, I thought I popped it up at first, and then I kind of looked up and it disappeared, and I was like ‘Oh man, it went out,'”” Fon said.

The Wildcats would go on to add two more in the seventh and four more in the eighth to cap the scoring.

Flames starter David Stokes (7-5) struck out seven Wildcats in his five innings of work, but gave up six runs (four earned) on eight hits and a walk in the loss.

Cody Brown’s pinch-hit two-run home run in the eighth off lefty Daniel Schlereth broke the Wildcats’ shutout bid.

Extra bases
    Arizona’s Oliver Padre recorded his first career hit with a run-scoring double to right field in the eighth. … Fon finished 3-for-5 with four RBIs.