Snapshot Reviews

Clan strikes out with compilation
    Wu: The Story of the Wu-Tang Clan: Think of its body as a steak made from formerly famous songs (“”Protect Ya Neck””) coming from the clan’s ’93, ’97 and ’00 albums, peppered with a few new tunes (“”Shimmy Shimmy Ya””) to add a little flavor. While the famous emcees must’ve done something to earn their name, it’s hard to hear it.

The same beat is strung through all 16 songs, though occasionally reversed or tweaked, and the rapping is muddled and monotonous as if it were recorded at a truck stop. Amid the profanity, Wu-Tang’s lyrics are sometimes commendable in terms of measure, and the vocalizing certainly atypical, but the hype surrounding it is two sizes too big for the Clan’s britches.

– Kim Kotel

‘A Hundred Million Suns’ fall flat
    One thing is for sure: If you like Snow Patrol’s older stuff, you will like A Hundred Million Suns. The band hasn’t changed in their decade of existence, and it becomes clear on Suns that they haven’t grown.

It seems every sappy song has to do with love or a lost love, or something similar.

Snow Patrol’s sound is no longer fresh and has become stale since they gained popularity a few years back. After multiple listens, it’s hard to distinguish the songs from one another – the beats all sound the same and the lyrics run together.

At least the songs are catchy, right?

– Ali Freedman