Athlete of the Week: Jerryd Bayless

Jerryd Bayless
    Jerryd Bayless

Arizona men’s basketball player Jerryd Bayless is coming off the hottest week of his college basketball career. He scored more than 30 points in each of the last three games, including a 39-point effort against ASU on Feb. 10. The Arizona Daily Wildcat caught up with the freshman guard yesterday to discuss his first Pacific 10 Conference Player of the Week Award, his jersey number and sorority girls.

Wildcat: What are your thoughts on being named the Pac-10 Player of the Week for last week?
    Bayless: It’s fine. I’m appreciative, but we have to win some more and then it’ll be all good.

W: You scored 30-plus points in three games in a row. You did that a lot in high school but it was the first time an Arizona basketball player has done that. Would you have been surprised if you weren’t given that award?
    B: You know, I really don’t look into that. All I’m worried about is getting wins right now.

W: Can you explain the parity of the Pac-10? Every team seems to be good.
    B: Everybody’s good. I think it’s the best conference in America. On any given night, somebody’s going to win and somebody’s going to lose. There’s no give-in games. It’s just a very good conference this year.

W: Before college, what did you think of the idea of March Madness and how do you think of it now?
    B: I think it’s a good concept. It’s true that in any game, someone could win and someone could be upset. I think that sets the tone for the whole March Madness idea and I’m not really surprised by it.

W: In high school you had No. 32 on your jersey. You couldn’t have that number as a Wildcat because it was Sean Elliott’s number and it’s been retired. Why did you pick No. 0?
    B: (Assistant coach) Josh (Pastner) kind of asked me to do it. That’s it, pretty much.

W: Did it have anything to do with Gilbert Arenas, who wore No. 0 as a Wildcat?
    B: Not necessarily. I look up to him, but I don’t wear it because of him.

W: This is the Jerryd Bayless zero?
    B: Yeah, I guess so.

W: Do you have any pregame rituals?
    B: No. Just play.

W: If you could have a soundtrack for your life, what would it be?
    B: A soundtrack for my life? Uh. (laughs) I don’t know.

W: What about “”The Good Life,”” by Kanye West?
    B: No, that’s not going to be the soundtrack of my life. No.

W: Let’s play a little word association. What comes to mind when you hear the name Lute Olson?
    B: A legend.

W: What about Arizona basketball?
    B: Tradition.

W: Sorority girls.
    B: (Laughs) They’re nice people.

W: Last one. Jerryd Bayless.
    B: Good guy.

– interview by Lance Madden