Police Beat: March 23

Hiding the evidence

A University of Arizona Police Department officer pulled over a woman for driving with expired tags at 12:55 p.m. on Sunday. When the officer began speaking to her, he noticed that the passenger, her mother, had a small pipe on her lap.

The officer asked the student for her driver’s license and registration and the mother to hold up the pipe. The student told the officer, “When you pulled me over, I tried to hand this to my mom and tell her to hide it for me, but my mom then refused to take it.”

The mother was handcuffed, told to get out of the car and sit on the curb. The student was asked to also get out of the car so the officer could search her. The student again said the pipe was hers, so the officer took the handcuffs off of her mother and placed them on her.

The mother said, “I was stunned when my daughter told me ‘hide the pipe’ and that’s when she put it in between my legs.” No drugs or other paraphernalia were found in the car. The girl was cited for possession of drug paraphernalia and driving with expired tags.

It wasn’t me

A man was pulled over on Broadway Boulevard and Cherry Avenue for failing to have a light on above his license plate at 9:48 p.m. on March 14. The UAPD officer asked for his driver’s license and registration, and found that his license plate was expired.

As the student began speaking to the officer, the officer smelled marijuana coming from his breath. The officer asked if the student had marijuana in the car, and the student said he did not. The officer noticed a laundry bag full of clothes in the backseat, and asked to search it. The officer found a marijuana grinder in the bag.

The student immediately said, “That is my friends and I was taking it from the car so he wouldn’t get into trouble.”

The officer said he didn’t believe him and cited him for possession of drug paraphernalia, driving with a suspended license and driving without a license plate light. The vehicle was towed and placed in a UAPD lot for 30 days. The marijuana was taken to UAPD Property and Evidence.

High beaming

A UAPD officer pulled over a man on Campbell Avenue and Broadway Boulevard for driving with his high beams on at 11:45 p.m. on Saturday. The officer tried to get the student’s attention by flashing his high beams at the student, but the student did not turn his off.

The officer put on his emergency lights to pull him over, and told the student he had been trying to get his attention. When the officer asked for his driver’s license and registration, the student said his license had been suspended since June 2011. The officer cited the student for driving with a suspended license and had his car impounded.