Grad student hit by car

Jennifer Miller, a graduate student for the political science department, was hit by a car while crossing Sixth Street near Highland Avenue around 3:20 p.m.

“”I shouldn’t have crossed here,”” she said. “”I’ll never cross out of a crosswalk again, well I’d like to say that’s true.””

A UA freshman was pulling out of Sixth Street Parking Garage and made an illegal left turn onto Sixth Street.

“”I was turning left, you aren’t supposed to, and I didn’t see any cars and I wasn’t looking for a person I was looking for cars,”” he said.

Miller was jogging toward Highland Commons for a doctors appointment at the time of the accident.

Christina Manvele, a pre-business sophomore, was behind the car involved in the accident in her car waiting to go onto Sixth Street when she saw the accident.

“”We saw her legs go up like she flipped, I would have taken her to the hospital just to make sure everything was OK,”” she said.

Miller was not taken to a hospital and walked away from the scene with “”a few scrapes, bumps and bruises.””

“”The nurse from the school over there (Mansfeld Middle School) and a doctor from the Commons within minutes and made sure I didn’t move my head in case there was spinal injuries,”” Miller said. “”But there’s no neck pain.””

After speaking with a University of Arizona Police Department officer, the freshman came over to Miller and apologized for the incident.

“”I’m so sorry,”” he said while giving her a hug.

Miller hugged him back saying “”Please don’t worry too much about it, it’s OK.””

“”I appreciate everyone’s help,”” Miller said before walking to the crosswalk at Sixth Street and Highland Avenue to return to campus.