M-tennis wraps up fall after ‘gaining confidence’

This year’s fall tournament success for the Arizona men’s tennis team did not surprise UA head coach Tad Berkowitz – rather, he saw it as a nice, gradual progression for the team as it heads into this weekend’s season finale at the Longhorn Invitational Tournament in Austin, Texas.

Junior Peter Zimmer, sophomore Ravid Hazi and freshman Jay Goldman represent the Wildcats today through Sunday.

“”So far, all in all, it’s been a fall of really accomplishing what we wanted to while gaining confidence in each other,”” Berkowitz said.

Hazi jump-started

So far, all in all, it’s been a fall of really accomplishing what we wanted to while gaining confidence in each other.

-Tad Berkowitz,
    head coach

the season by debuting with a fury at the Aggie Invitational in Las Cruces, N.M., finishing the tournament 3-1 and reaching the finals of the singles draw Sept. 16.

Hazi transferred to Arizona in time for the last spring season, using the whole semester to adapt to the team and the level of play required.

“”When I finished the spring semester, I had no confidence, and there were many things I had to work on,”” Hazi said. “”This semester with the tournaments … I feel really good.

“”This tournament is good for me to take another step,”” he added. “”I feel really ready for the next season.””

Because of the way Hazi plays off confidence and feel, Berkowitz hopes he gains as much live match experience as possible this weekend.

Having the same mindset about Goldman, Berkowitz thinks the freshman has the potential to beat anybody he goes against, despite his inexperience.

Zimmer enters the tournament looking to make a statement, after what he considered a disappointing finish in the Oct. 17-21 ITA West Regional.

“”I think he felt he could’ve won his last match,”” Berkowitz said. “”He walked off the court thinking he could beat (Mathieu Dehaine of UCLA).””