Drinking with pride

Jessica Schrecker

Jessica Schrecker/The Daily Wildcat

With the UA’s Coming Out Week in full swing, it’s the perfect time to celebrate friends who have made the decision to come out. This week is observed annually to raise awareness in the community and demonstrate a movement that has spread all over the world. Regardless of which team you play for, it’s time to celebrate, and here are the best places to do just that:

IBT’s — 616 N. Fourth Ave.

Voted Tucson’s No. 1 Gay Bar, IBT’s is a well-known hotspot for the LGBTQ community. The bar is inconspicuous in appearance and so hidden that it’s almost impossible to see it unless you know what you’re looking for. Behind closed doors, IBT’s has blasting music and bright colors splashed everywhere, guaranteeing a good time.

The bar features different specials every night, ranging from drag shows to Taco Tuesdays, and offers reverse happy hour specials every Monday. The atmosphere in IBT’s demands dancing, making it the perfect place to celebrate this week’s occasion.

Brodie’s Tavern — 2449 N. Stone Ave.

Brodie’s Tavern has been in Tucson for four years and prides itself on its friendly bartenders and great-tasting cocktails. It offers a variety of drinks while filling the bar with music from a variety of DJs.

With weekly specials, televisions, video games, dartboards and a pool table, as well as a pool outside that bar-goers can use on Sundays, Brodie’s is a little more laid-back and angled for a crowd that just wants to have fun.

New Moon — 915 W. Prince Road

Formerly known as Howl at the Moon, this country-dance bar caters to the LGBTQ community with a friendly attitude and accepting atmosphere. With TVs, food, dancing, pool and darts, New Moon promises an explosion of expression with a country-Western flavor.
    New Moon offers different specials weekly and is hosting the official Pride After Party on Saturday, beginning at 10 p.m. The entry fee is $5.

Venture-N — 1239 N. Sixth Ave.

Established as one of the oldest bars in Tucson, Venture-N offers a relaxed ambience, providing a sense of peace and intimacy to patrons. The bar has a stigma of being “men’s only,” but it welcomes everyone.

With a variety of cocktails and entertainment, Venture-N is the perfect place for a relaxed night out with friends. Patrons have the option to spend their time in the dimly lit inside area or venture out to the back patio.

Club Congress — 311 E. Congress St.

Club Congress is a popular Tucson location for everyone, regardless of sexual orientation. Offering drinks and music, and often live music entertainment, Club Congress is always popular for a Saturday night out.

To celebrate Coming Out Week, Club Congress is set to host the Tucson Pride After Party, featuring Fluxx Productions. The event is 21 and over and promises dancing and celebrations. Doors open at 9 p.m., and the event costs $5.

Follow Jessica Schrecker @jkschrecker