Top 5 picks of the week

“”Grindhouse”” is going to slaughter, smash up and destroy its competition this weekend, but there are still some other films worth seeing. Or maybe not if you think Ice Cube is a sellout or dogs shouldn’t be doing stunts.

“”Grindhouse””

This is the movie that will finally dethrone “”300″” in terms of current popularity. Everybody is going to be raving about this ultra-violent double feature on Monday. Directors Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez will not disappoint.

“”Are We Done Yet?””

Who would have thought that the old hardcore gangster Ice Cube would turn into a family-friendly actor? Now he’s starring in the sequel to his 2005 movie “”Are We There Yet?”” Expect more of the same, but early reports are favorable.

“”The Holy Mountain””

Prepare for a mind-warping experience with this movie. It’s a 1973 cult classic featuring some of the most surreal imagery ever put on film. It cannot be described in words. Don’t take a date if he or she is easily offended. Playing only at The Loft Cinema.

“”Firehouse Dog””

This flick looks pretty goofy, even for a kids’ film. Perhaps this will be the “”Air Bud”” for a new generation. Instead of playing basketball, this dog does stunts. This is the movie to take your little brother or sister to.

“”Zodiac””

Robert Downey Jr., Jake Gyllenhaal and Mark Ruffalo star in this thriller that follows murders from the ’60s and ’70s in the San Francisco Bay Area. In case you never caught this one when it first came out, the film starts showing at Crossroads Festival today.

– compiled by Patrick Valenzuela