Fast Facts

• There are mice that nest in trees. These creatures may spend their whole lives without ever touching the ground.
  • A fully loaded supertanker traveling at normal speed takes at least 20 minutes to stop.
  • The strength of early lasers was measured in Gillettes, the number of blue razor blades a given beam could puncture.
  • All the gold produced in the past 500 years, if melted, could be compressed into a 50-foot cube.
  • Why do beers come in packs of six? Breweries thought six beers were “”the maximum a woman could safely carry.””
  • You can sweat as much as three gallons a day in a hot climate.
  • He wasn’t blind, but Thomas Edison preferred reading in Braille.
  • Chance that a driver will swerve out of a lane of traffic while talking on a cell phone: 7 percent.
  • It’s impossible to lick your elbow. Try it.
  • Sixty percent of pets in Great Britain have some form of health insurance.
  • The original name for butterfly was the flutterby.
  • Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA level C.
  • Termites eat wood twice as fast while listening to heavy metal music.
  • In 1944, to let the public know that bananas should be allowed to ripen at room temperature, not in the refrigerator, United Fruit commissioned a song and a character: Chiquita Banana. The song was so popular that it was once played on the radio 376 times in one day.
  • Australian soldiers used “”We’re Off to See the Wizard”” as a marching song during World War II.
  • Odds that you’ll be killed by a plane falling from the sky: one in 25 million. Odds that it will happen today: one in 7 trillion.
  • In a survey, 2.1 percent of nose pickers said they did so “”for enjoyment.””
  • In Japan, one can rent a dog as a companion for $20 an hour.