Series with ASU in store for club ice hockey

Junior Nicolas Nilo swims the breaststroke during the No. 3 mens teams win over Wisconsin on Nov. 2 at Hillenbrand Aquatic Center. The men and No. 4 women begin their grueling Christmas training over the break.
    Junior Nicolas Nilo swims the breaststroke during the No. 3 men’s team’s win over Wisconsin on Nov. 2 at Hillenbrand Aquatic Center. The men and No. 4 women begin their grueling Christmas training over the break.

With the men’s club hockey team’s season being filled with so many highs and lows this season, the weekend series against ASU at the Tucson Convention Center could reveal what kind of team it really is.

“”It’s by far the biggest game of the season,”” said senior captain Scott Marshall. “”This is the game we think about all year. The rivalry game always means more than anything.””

Arizona (10-6-1) has already beaten the Sun Devils (6-9) twice this year in Tempe, but it knows better than to overlook this ASU team.

“”When we play ASU, it’s just about who works harder. You can throw the game plans out the window,”” Marshall said. “”It’s all about who’s executing better.””

UA head coach Leo Golembiewski said the team’s postseason hopes hinge on the games at the end of this semester and the first few at the start of next semester.

“”We basically have to win out the rest of the season (in order to make nationals),”” Golembiewski said. “”Next semester we need to open up strong against Saint Louis and try and get some revenge. If we can beat ASU twice and end on a high note at 12-6-1 that would be nice.””

WHAT:
    Arizona Icecats vs.
    ASU Sun Devils

WHERE:
    Tucson Convention Center
    260 S. Church Ave.

WHEN:
    Dec. 7 – 8
    7:30 p.m.

Last week, Arizona succeeded at getting shots on goal, but did a poor job of scoring goals. In the two-game split with Weber State, Arizona managed only six goals on 125 shots, a number Golembiewski said must improve.

“”We need a bigger effort in the nets by our goaltenders, (Weber) scored six goals on only 60 shots,”” Golembiewski said. “”We also need to do a better job of putting the puck in the net because our shooting has continued to be an issue for us.””

Another familiar thing with this game is the Icecats will again be missing a key player. Co-captain and forward Craig Irwin suffered what is being called a serious groin injury and could miss over a month of action. Marshall said Irwin might try and skate early Friday before game time, but doesn’t anticipate him being able to play.

The loss will again force Arizona to shuffle its lineup and the constant changes could be part of the reason for the offensive inconsistencies.

“”It will be difficult with Craig down, but all the line (combinations) have been similar,”” Marshall said. “”Maybe we’ll start a little slow, but I don’t think that will be a problem because everybody should be able to get up for this game.””

Hopefully, Arizona will be able to conquer more than one demon over the weekend, as the Icecats aim to correct some of the inconsistencies that have plagued them all year.

“”By far the biggest inconsistency this season has been a lack of intensity,”” Golembiewski said. “”I’m not singling anybody out, but we’re in a situation where we have to play intense all the time. It’s critical that we execute. It’s critical that we play intense and play the games with the intent that they have to be won. It’s not the whole team, but there are a few players who definitely need to pick up their intensity level.””