Son of Eagles’ Reid found dead

BETHLEHEM, Pa. — Garrett Reid, 29, son of Eagles coach Andy Reid, was found dead in a Lehigh University dormitory room early Sunday morning. Reid’s body was discovered by an Eagles official who called police at 7:20 a.m. to report that Reid was unresponsive, according to Ed Shupp, Lehigh University chief of police.

Shupp said police arrived at the dorm room at 7:21 a.m.

Garrett Reid had been working for the Eagles as a strength and conditioning coach and had been a fixture around the team since his release from prison in 2009. Reid had a long, troubled past involving drug addiction.

To those around the Eagles, Garrett Reid appeared to have rebounded from his addiction. He had “found his passion in helping others develop their physique,” according to a family statement.

Garrett Reid was the eldest of the Reid’s five children. He was at Lehigh along with his father and the rest of the Eagles for training camp.

Garrett Reid was found dead in a dorm room at Lehigh’s Sayre Park, where the Eagles reside during camp.

“On arrival, attempts to revive the individual were unsuccessful,” Shupp said. “Garrett Reid was deceased on the officer’s arrival.”

Northampton County coroner Zachary Lysek, who pronounced Garrett Reid dead, said that he was conducting an investigation with the cooperation of the Lehigh police department.

Team owner Jeffrey Lurie, who was originally scheduled to hold his annual state of the Eagles news conference on Sunday, instead delivered a somber statement later in the afternoon.

“I’ve watched Andy try so hard with his family over the years,” Lurie said. “He cares so much about his family that it’s a hard one. You see a man that really cares.”

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and defensive coordinator Juan Castillo oversaw Sunday’s practices and will oversee the squad until Reid returns.

Players and coaches somberly walked off the field after a morning walk-through and did the same following the afternoon session.

“Coach has always been a great supporter of us, as a team, as an organization,” Eagles quarterback Michael Vick said in a statement. “He’s been a rock for us and a big teddy bear for us, so we’re going to lean on him, and we’re going to be there for him, and we’re going to stay strong for him until he comes back and can lead us on.”

Andy Reid later took a six-week leave of absence during the 2007 offseason as his sons faced criminal charges. Garrett Reid was sentenced to 23 months for smashing up another motorist’s car while he was on heroin and spent time in and out of jail during the next two years.

Garrett Reid “had planned to begin studies in sports management in the fall,” according to his family.