Blogs

Lofton steps up for Cleveland in ALCS

When the Cleveland Indians acquired former Arizona basketball and baseball player Kenny Lofton on July 27 – for the third time – the first thing I thought about was Cleveland’s 1995 World Series loss to the Atlanta Braves.

I always told friends over the past couple of years that I longed for Lofton to come back to Cleveland. There is something about him. To me, he represented the Indians’ success from the mid-’90s.

And just a few months following his latest return, the 40-year-old hit a two-run blast to right-center field in the bottom of the third inning in Game 3 of the American League Championship Series against the Boston Red Sox last night, helping lift the Tribe to a 4-2 victory.

With him back in an Indians uniform, it is official – it is Tribe Time!

It is ironic to me that this man, the one I had always would return to Cleveland – even more so than Manny Ramirez – is the man who may, in fact, lead the Indians to their first World Series appearance since a heartbreaking loss to the Florida Marlins in 1997.

Lofton, who backed up Steve Kerr at point guard on Arizona’s 1988 Final Four basketball team, is batting .308 in the playoffs and has proven to be the spark the Tribe needs to possibly upset the Red Sox.

Maybe all it takes is a man 40 years of age to bring the city of Cleveland its first championship of any kind since 1964 and the Indians their first World Series victory since 1948.

Despite the repeated heartbreak provided by the Browns, Indians and Cavaliers – and as an avid fan of Cleveland area sports – you gotta love this.

– Ari Wasserman, Staff Writer

Francona introduces ‘Cats

Former Wildcat Terry Francona remains plenty busy as the manager of the red-hot Boston Red Sox in the ALCS, but he still found time to introduce the Arizona offense during Saturday’s ABC telecast of the Wildcats’ football game against No. 10 USC.

While introducing quarterback Willie Tuitama, he said, “”this kid has a great fastball.””

Then he found an apt comparison from his Boston team to the Trojan attack that features weapons all over the field.

“”This USC offense comes at you like a Tim Wakefield knuckleball,”” Francona said.

Wearing a Red Sox hat, he still showed the nation he ís thinking of his alma mater.

“”Bear down, Wildcats,”” Francona said.

– Michael Schwartz, assistant sports writer