Wildcats roll at home

Mike Christy
    Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The Arizona Wildcats take on The Citadel Bulldogs Saturday, Sept. 11, 2010, at Arizona Stadium in Tucson Ariz. The Wildcats rolled the Bulldogs 52-6 to earn their second win of the season.

In a weekend where FCS football schools played upset around the country, the Arizona Wildcats bucked the trend and defeated The Citadel 52-6 on Saturday.

“”We seen a couple teams slip up, didn’t handle business. Overlooked their opponent. So we just focused on practicing like we would for a team like Iowa . . .”” said receiver William “”Bug”” Wright.

The Wildcats (2-0) racked up 489 in total offense while limiting the Bulldogs to just 171 yards. Arizona’s defense prevented The Citadel (1-1) from crossing the 100 yards in total offense until nearly half way through the third quarter with 8:10 on the clock.

“”For a young defense to be able to execute for eight quarters and not have too many breakdowns is good to see,”” said Arizona head coach Mike Stoops of the lack of opponent scoring.

The Wildcats prevented the Bulldogs from ever crossing the goal line and still haven’t given up a touchdown on the season. The first team defense yielded a field goal in the third with 6:55 remaining in the quarter. The Citadel’s other score came in the fourth quarter, when it added another field goal to put its point total at six.

“”When you look to play eight quarters to play against anybody and not let anyone in the end zone it’s really satisfying for our players and coaches,”” added Stoops. “”Really pleased with that.””

On the offensive side, Arizona quarterback Nick Foles finished the night 17-for-22 with 214 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

Foles and the Wildcats stretched the field against the Bulldogs, best exemplified when he threaded a pass between coverage and hit receiver Juron Criner for a 44-yard completion that set up a touchdown.

“”The key to these games is you really have to stay sharp. You really have to have that mental focus and I felt like we kept a good mental focus during the week,”” Foles said. “”We’re going to have to continue to build on. “”

Foles also hit Wright in the back of the end zone to put Arizona up early in the game.

Running back Nic Grigsby had 11 carries for 107 yards and three touchdowns, including a 62-yard run on Arizona’s first possession of the second half. The score was Grigsby’s longest of his career, surpassing his previous record of 60 yards.

“”(Grigsby) had a couple great runs. He always does that,”” Stoops said. “”You give him a little bit of space, that’s where he’s very dangerous in the open field.””

Fellow running back Greg Nwoko had two touchdowns in the second half and quarterback Bryson Beirne completed a six-yard pass to tight end Jack Baucus to increase Arizona’s lead late in the fourth.

54,814 fans welcomed Arizona to its home opener, which kicks off a four-game home stand for the Wildcats, who will welcome Iowa next weekend.