Love is all around

Look around. It’s Valentine’s Day, and from orange groves to wooden gazebos, the UA campus is filled with romantic places to woo your honey.

The orange grove by Maricopa Residence Hall

Some students chose this row of orange trees as a quiet yet scenic place to spend their Valentine’s Day last year.

“”We have had a couple of proposals here beneath the arches as you head toward the Music building,”” said Christopher Kopach, associate director of Facilities Management.

Lauren Turner, an undeclared sophomore, said, “”My friends and I walked together through campus last year on Valentine’s Day. We walked through the orange grove and to other cute places and took pictures of things that were pink. It was a great way to spend Valentine’s Day.””

For other students, the orange grove will be the location of a future date.

“”I have always wanted to have an orange fight in the grove,”” said Leah Clark, a pre-business sophomore. “”It would be such a cute date … as long as the oranges aren’t thrown too hard.””

Fountain at Old Main

“”This is a famous spot,”” Kopach said. “”Every year, we get at least two requests from people who want to get married in front of the fountain.””

The latest wedding to happen at the fountain came in August, and Kopach said he expects to get at least two more requests during the spring and summer months.

“”The fountain is a really romantic place for a date,”” said Alan Tanz, a creative writing freshman. “”I don’t know if I would get married here, but it is definitely a nice spot on campus.””

Chelsea Pedia, a pre-business sophomore, said she had a picnic date near the fountain.

“”It was nice,”” Pedia said. “”It’s a shady area, and even though it’s in the middle of campus, you somehow feel secluded.””

Gazebo between the Douglass building and Centennial Hall

Kopach points out a ramada on the west side of the Douglass building, where several proposals have been made.

“”There’s a bench there to take your sweetheart’s hand,”” he said.

“”This is one of my favorite areas of campus,”” said Natalie Tohanic, a psychology junior. “”I don’t think I’d be able to turn down a proposal here.””

The turtle pond on North Park Avenue and East First Street

“”I actually have had a date here,”” Clark said. “”We grabbed some Kentucky Fried Chicken and watched as the turtles tried to climb onto the bank. It was so cute.””

A little-known spot on campus, the turtle pond has served as the backdrop of countless picnics and dates, Kopach said.

Adam Luckow, an undeclared junior, first met his fiancǸe on the grassy platforms along the Alumni Plaza.

“”When we first started dating, we met on the grassy spots near the Administration building,”” Luckow said. “”That was the first step for us. Now we’re getting married June 23, and I couldn’t be happier.””