Fast Facts

• Christopher Columbus had blond hair.
  • No one knows where Mozart is buried.
  • During the early 1920s, at the height of the inflation in the German Weimar Republic, one American dollar was equal to 4 trillion German marks.
  • Crystals grow by reproducing themselves. They come nearest to being “”alive”” of all members of the mineral kingdom.
  • The primary source of physical discomfort among Americans is back pain.
  • In medieval Japan, a woman who was caught alone in a room with a man other than her husband was immediately put to death, even if the meeting was completely innocent.
  • Magical symbols drawn by Roman soldiers on the shields to repel the evil eye became the basis for European heraldic designs during the Middle Ages.
  • Ants stretch when they wake up. They also appear to yawn in a very human manner before taking up the tasks of the day.
  • A male emperor moth can detect and find a female of his species a mile away.
  • The distance from Honolulu to New York is greater than the distance from Honolulu to Japan.
  • The receipts from illegal gambling each year in the United States surpass the total revenues of America’s 75 largest industrial organizations combined.
  • Voltaire considered Shakespeare’s works so deplorable that he referred to the Bard as “”that drunken fool.””
  • Until 1893, lynching was legal in the United States. The first anti-lynching law was passed in Georgia, but it only made the violation punishable by four years in prison.
  • The original name for the butterfly was “”flutterby.””
  • James J. Ritty, owner of a tavern in Dayton, Ohio, invented the cash register in 1879 to stop his patrons from pilfering house profits.