Police Beat: March 19

You can run but you can’t hide

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers pulled over a gray Hyundai on Sixth Street and Campbell Avenue for failing to stop at a red light before turning right at 3:42 p.m. on Wednesday. The officers told the driver why he was pulled over, then asked for his driver’s license and registration. When officers scanned his information into their system, they found that the vehicle he was driving had been reported as stolen.

As officers began to return to the car, the driver started to speed away. The officers called for backup and jumped back into their vehicle to follow the car. When they relocated the Hyundai, they saw the driver and the passenger flee from the car and into a nearby house. The officers chased them into the backyard, where they were able to tackle them.

The driver and passenger were searched. Officers found needles, heroin and drug paraphernalia in their pockets. The two were cited and taken to Pima County Jail. The stolen car was returned to its owner.

Breaking and entering

A male student in the Delta Tau Delta fraternity called UAPD at 8:25 p.m. on Tuesday because he saw an unknown man enter the fraternity house. The student, who was staying in the house during spring break, described the intruder as a 6-foot-1 black man who appeared to be in his early 30s and was wearing a bright green golf hat. The man walked into the fraternity house and looked around. The student told officers the man startled him. No one else was in the house at the time.

When the man noticed the student, he said the back gate was open and he was looking for someone in the house because he thought something had been stolen. The man also told the student that he had already called police about the potential burglary. The student then asked the man to leave and escorted him out. Officers arrived and searched the house. The student said the man smelled heavily of urine and trash. He showed officers the back gate and said he clearly remembered locking the gate 30 minutes before the man came into the house. Neither the student nor the officers could figure out how the man entered.

Officers told the student to contact the fraternity’s president and the house’s owners because the gate needed a new lock. The student said he wanted to press charges against the man.