Your views

Your views

Letters
    In response to Daily Wildcat coverage of ASUA:
    To those of you who read this paper, however few you may be, let me start off by saying that I commend you on your efforts to stay informed about our University by reading the paper.

The Daily Wildcat had MULTIPLE reporters at the ASUA Senatorial Candidate Forum this past Tuesday evening. They failed to report ANYTHING substantive about the forum, rather the paper resorted to chastising the ASUA site for their own lack of information about the candidates.

If the Daily Wildcat was SO intent on the student body receiving knowledge about the Senatorial Candidates’ platforms, why didn’t they report ANY information on the platforms themselves after having two reporters sit through an hour of myself and my fellow candidates talk extensively on our platforms and their pending implementation?

I was asked by a Daily Wildcat reporter after the debate for a quote, but rather than ask me about my all important forums she simply asked me if this was the first debate we were having … this question was so painfully simple, and so obviously unmotivated, that I was only able to accurately answer it with one word. The reporter was then satisfied with my quote and walked away. If you want the students to know about the candidates, how about you ask them questions that can’t be answered with Yes or No.

I don’t anticipate the Daily Wildcat to have any real impact on the elections, as usual, but I feel it is necessary to call you on your hypocrisy in this case. Below are my platforms. If you truly care about the students, and thus potential voters gaining knowledge about the senatorial race, please post my platforms in your paper:

Community
    It is a pivotal time for the local businesses of Tucson, especially for those who have been affected by the construction of the rail line from campus through downtown. Upon completion of the line, there will be a huge opportunity for local businesses to connect with University Students who were unable to do so in the past.

I want to help businesses in downtown Tucson attract University students in an effort to enrich our local economy, create a sense of responsibility in our community, and foster a more meaningful understanding among university students of what it means to live in Tucson. This rail line is a tool that deserves to be fully utilized by University students, and I’m going to make sure that happens.

Jobs
    In addition to raising awareness on campus about “Wildcat Job Link” and various career fairs, I intend to offer new opportunities to students who want to build meaningful relationships with alumni.

You know the saying “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know”? Well, it’s kind of true when it comes to looking for jobs. My vision is to establish more opportunities on campus for alumni and undergrads to build relationships and share ideas.

School Spirit
    I firmly believe that school spirit is an important part of our University. I would like to build upon our already stellar traditions, and create opportunities for students and athletes to come together on campus. Be it barbeques, movie nights, or community service, these events will strengthen our wildcat community and give students a chance to get to know our teams on a more personal level. For the athletes, it will give them an opportunity to connect with the student body and build a stronger relationship with their supporters.

_— Jake Broido,
    Senatorial candidate for the Associated Students of the University of Arizona_

Online Comments

In response to “ASUA senatorial candidates host open Q&A” (by Rachel McCluskey, Sept. 26):
    Same ol’ same ol’. The thing is, the good candidates and people are being pushed out of the ASUA every semester. The people with bright, intelligent ideas are asked to leave the different programs and services every year because the directors already have their mind made up of what they want. The only people that stay are the ones who follow everything their directors say and do not question.

The ASUA looks more and more like a high school student government every passing day. Have you visited the ASUA offices? It’s all about prep, pride and “going to the games”. Where are the bar charts of statistics these candidates are supposed to be working on?

Instead of having a “cubbies for life” sign on the wall, where are blown up words of failed university policies these elected persons are supposed to be working on. Just an observation.
    — Anonymous