“Amid rumors, Prince says he’ll be back next season”

J.P. Prince
    J.P. Prince

Freshman point guard J.P. Prince dismissed any rumors that he is going to transfer yesterday afternoon after the Wildcats finished practice for tonight’s Lame for a Game event.

“”There was never any transfer,”” Prince said. “”I never said I was going anywhere. That was everybody else saying I was going somewhere, that I needed to leave.””

Prince, who hails from Memphis, Tenn., will join the team for its trip to Europe starting on May 21 and will take first summer session classes before he heads home in July. He averaged 2.2 points per game and 1.9 rebounds per game in 28 games this past season. Prince’s best performance came in a Dec. 8 game against NAU, when he dished out 10 assists.

Over the summer, Prince said he hopes to work on his overall game.

“”I’m working on everything, nobody’s a perfect player,”” Prince said. “”I’m just staying out of trouble this year, that’s it.””

Shakur not sure whether he will test the NBA Draft

If any underclassman was going to test the NBA Draft process, it would be junior point guard Mustafa Shakur, Arizona head coach Lute Olson said at the year-ending press conference.

A few weeks later, Shakur is still noncommittal regarding the chance that he declares for the 2006 draft.

“”That’s a possibility, but it’s going to be day-to-day,”” Shakur said. “”Tomorrow I may want to, tomorrow I may not want to.””

Shakur also said he is still undecided on where he will work out this summer. He said he will continue to work on the things he has worked on in past summers.

“”I think I can always improve on my jump shot, but I think I do a lot of other things well, and at the next level I think it’ll be better seen,”” Shakur said. “”But right now, it’s about my team, and I’m not really worried about it. I’m just going to work on everything anybody would want to coming out of college.””