Eye on Virginia Tech

Astronomy freshman Stacey Morris and computer engineering freshman Brendan Anderson watch as President Bush addresses the nation from Virginia Tech in Gallagher Theater yesterday afternoon. The theater was open all day for students to watch news updates.

A day after the worst school shooting in the nation’s history, UA community members gathered in Gallagher Theater yesterday to watch live news broadcasts of the memorial at Virginia Tech University and send their condolences to Blacksburg, Va.

The memorial was shown from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., with a stream of students and faculty stopping to watch live news feeds together. People also signed a card that will be sent to Virginia Tech.

“”It’s shocking that something like this is still going on and in such large numbers,”” said Monique White, a senior majoring in French. “”Even though we have heard of this before with Columbine and other campus shootings, it’s still a shock to hear of something of this magnitude.””

After hearing the news of the shootings on Monday, White said she attended the viewing in Gallagher Theater to see how Virginia Tech is coping.

“”I wanted to hear what the president of their school had to say and I wanted to see how the community is coming together,”” White said.

For other students, like pre-business sophomore David Coulter, the shooting served as a wake-up call.

“”We have such a distance from Virginia Tech, but this really hits home,”” Coulter said. “”I live in the dorms and I have classes in lecture halls, and it’s a possibility that something like this could happen here.””

Michelle Perez, director of the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership, said the event was organized last night in an attempt to stay informed and share in the loss of Virginia Tech.

“”Yesterday when we learned of the events, we were all riveted and worried about our colleagues and fellow students,”” Perez said. “”We, as a division, wanted to make sure that we acknowledged that something happened in Virginia, and their convocation was the best way to be close to them.””

Coulter, who stopped by for a few minutes before heading to class, said he thinks the broadcast in Gallagher was beneficial.

“”It’s nice that they are doing this,”” Coulter said. “”It gives people somewhere to look.””

While watching the news, some students expressed their grief by crying and received supportive hugs from others.

“”It’s unsettling,”” Coulter said of the shootings. “”It’s one of those things that you never think of until it happens.””

The U.S.S. Arizona bell at the Student Union Memorial Center will ring seven times today at 12:07 p.m. in memory of the victims and their families.

The UA will host a vigil tomorrow at the fountain near Old Main in remembrance of those who lost their lives.