Driver dead after one-car wreck

The driver of a pickup died Saturday afternoon after he lost control of the vehicle and struck a utility pole on Payne Avenue in North Tonawanda.

Hal W. Stetson, 56, was pronounced dead at DeGraff Memorial Hospital about an hour after the accident, which happened at 2:48 p.m.

No other cars were involved in the one-car accident, in which witnesses said the Chevy S-10 driven by Stetson was traveling north on Payne Avenue at a high rate of speed before spinning slightly and striking the pole on the drivers’ side, shearing it.

Firefighters used the Jaws of Life to remove Stetson from the truck near the corner of Payne and East avenues.

North Tonawanda Police Capt. William Hall said an accident investigation team was called to look into what might have caused the crash, though no clear reason has yet been determined.

An autopsy will be conducted to determine whether or not a medical condition or other physiological factor might have contributed to the crash.

“”I don’t want to speculate but he could have had a heart attack or a seizure, you just don’t know,”” Hall said.

Hall didn’t say exactly how fast the truck was traveling, but based on photos from the scene, said the damage to the truck indicates it was clearly over the speed limit.

“”He passed a vehicle that was stopped at the light and lost control, left the roadway and hit the pole,”” he said.