Top 5 picks of the week

Now that the Golden Globes have been handed out, it’s time to discover some films you may have missed. Don’t care about silly red carpets and fancy dresses? Check out some other films including a documentary, a bloody horror flick and a Golden Globe loser.

“”Babel””

According to the Golden Globes, this was the best film of last year. See it again or for the first time and decide if it was worth the award. Bonus: tickets won’t be expensive. Only playing at the Crossroads Festival Cinemas.

“”The Bridge””

San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge is one of the world’s recognizable landmarks. Sadly, many people flock to the bridge not to see its beauty, but to commit suicide. This documentary chronicles suicides and attempted suicides at the bridge including the stories of survivors. Only playing at The Loft Cinema.

“”Letters from Iwo Jima””

This one just took home the Golden Globe for Best Foreign Language Film. Clint Eastwood directed this film, which tells the stories of Japanese soldiers during World War II. Only playing at the Park Place Century 20.

“”The Hitcher””

Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly doesn’t like violent horror flicks like this one and wishes you couldn’t see them. If you want to show him what you think, go see (or don’t) this remake of 1986’s “”The Hitcher.””

“”Stranger Than Fiction””

While Will Ferrell lost the Golden Globe to Borat, this one is still worth it, seeing as it’s currently playing at the less expensive theaters in town. Be warned, however. This certainly isn’t the Ferrell you saw in “”Anchorman”” or “”Elf.””

– compiled by Patrick Valenzuela