Honesty devours Lange in ‘Too Fat to Fish’

Artie Lange’s “”Too Fat to Fish”” is a compilation of cleverly raw stories based upon the memoirs and failures of Howard Stern’s fat comedian friend, Artie Lange.

Lange’s crude humor self-mocks his drug and alcohol addiction throughout the book. Intertwined with some insightful passages about Lange’s family and career choices, this is an easy read but not for the faint of heart.

The cover features an unshaven, fat Lange with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, representing most of his memoir. The pictures he chose to feature are prominent, representing failures and significant events of his past.

Starting with his childhood in the dirty Jersey, Lange grows up in the middle class aspiring to be a successful stand-up comedian. Working odd jobs and stand up gigs in hole-in-the-wall bars, Lange hits it big with a gig on “”Mad TV.””

In one anecdote, Lange’s drug addiction takes him running off the set in the middle of a “”Mad TV”” skit to go score blow without even taking off his character’s pig makeup. Lange explains in descriptive detail barely being able to focus on anything but the white lines he was about to inhale while waiting for the dealer in a parking lot.

Despite the dark humor, Lange shows some insight into his family, especially his mother.

In one scene, Lange holds his first big paycheck that will be able to cover his mother’s debt and take care of her. He wonders how many antennas his father would have had to install growing up to make that same kind of money.

Lange’s honesty gives this book depth. From an attempted suicide letter to a good-bye letter to cocaine, Lange is able to reach his readers and fans much deeper than through his standup.

In chapter nine, “”Wah! I’m out of cocaine! Wah!”” Lang attributes his real success in standup to honesty and hopes this literary work will be the most honest piece he’s ever done.