Date Book

Thursday, June 29

• Discussion. 5Rs Lunchtime Discussion. It’s your last chance to learn from UA’s recycling coordinator about the importance of the 5Rs – Recyle, Reduce, Reuse, Repurchase and Rethink. The final discussion of this lunchtime series, which includes activities, handouts and a presentation, will focus on Rethinking. 11 a.m. Student Union Memorial Center, Agave Room

Sunday, July 2

• Triathlon. Firecracker Triathlon. The second of three races in the Tucson Triathlon Series begins with an 825 yard swim in Hillenbrand Aquatic Center, followed by three laps of biking around the UA campus totaling 12 miles and finishes with a 3 mile run on campus. The race is limited to the first 360 entries and costs $43 for USA Trialthlon members, $52 for nonmembers. 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. Hillenbrand Aquatic Center, 1827 E. Enke Drive

Wednesday, July 5

• Meeting. Staff Advisory Council Meeting. Due to the Fourth of July holiday, the Staff Advisory Council meeting, which is normally held the first Tuesday of each month at 3 p.m., will take place on Wednesday. Open to all university employees and classified staff, the Staff Advisory Council aims to enhance communication between staff and the university community by providing discussion forums, advising regarding university policies and procedures and serving as a resource for inquiries and requests. 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. “”Swede”” Johnson building. For room number, please check at receptionist desk.
  • Health Screening. Free Glaucoma Screening. University Physicians Healthcare Eye Care Center, UPH Hospital at Kino Campus, is offering free glaucoma screenings. Glaucoma is the leading cause of preventable blindness in the U.S. and can be symptomless, but early detection can preserve sight. Screenings include glaucoma risk factors evaluation, eye pressure and blood pressure measurements, visual acuity exam and peripheral vision check. Call 520-694-1460 to make an appointment. UPH Hospital at Kino Campus, 2800 E. Ajo Way
  • Wednesday, July 5 — Sunday, July 9

• Tournament. Billiards Congress of America junior national, ACUI Collegiate National 9-Ball Tournament. Come watch real pool sharks battle it out in the most prestigious event in youth billiards – the BCA junior national tournament. Around 150 qualified juniors and 80 collegiate players will compete to represent the U.S. in the international competition and the 2006 WPA Junior World 9-Ball Championships in Australia. Admission at door. 8 a.m. Student Union Memorial Center, Wilbur’s Underground, Games Room